How to Request a Student Worker Email Account
Under State and Federal laws, we are required to manage official University records and be able to respond to Freedom of Information Act requests, subpoenas, and other legal discovery proceedings for email records of University employees. Under our current arrangement with Google, we cannot directly access student accounts for these purposes. If student employees use email as part of their official job responsibilities, they must not use their new student email account (@mymail.vcu.edu) for official work activities. Departments should establish "generic" or group accounts for use by student employees (many departments already have generic accounts for their units). The approved naming format for student worker account(s) will be department name/STWK/#, i.e., BUSSTWK1.
A request for a University group/generic student account must be submitted in a support ticket.
Please include the following information in the request description:
- Student worker suggested account name(s) if multiple accounts needed
- eID or email of account owner(s)
- Purpose for account(s)
- eID or email of Student Worker Supervisor*
An email will arrive providing your ticket request number and a link to follow updates on your request.
Note: Generic or Group account creation may take up to one week.
Once a year, Technology Services must confirm and identify the current account "owner" for all active departmental/generic accounts to determine:
- If the account(s) should remain active, with the current account owner
- If the account(s) can be deleted or,
- If the account owner has changed and, the account should remain active, that we are provided the new account owner name
Questions about these processes can be directed to Doctor Gee or, the VCU IT Support Center at (804) 828-2227.
This article was updated: 10/26/2018