SQL Server Services: The VCU Computer Center (VCUCC) provides SQL Server DBA support to Technology Services and other Administrative units within the University. We currently maintain five SQL Servers for shared use:
Services include backup and recovery, performance tuning and monitoring and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) creation and maintenance. We currently backup all SQL Server databases using IBM's Tivoli Data Protection (TDP) utility and backup tapes are taken off-site nightly. Transaction log back-ups are arranged on a case by case basis depending on the needs of the customer and the application. We also have experience setting-up and maintaining replication between multiple SQL Servers as well as database mirroring to a hot standby server in Harris Hall. Also, the production instances are configured as clusters for high availability.
How can I get an SQL Server database?
- Visit ITSupport to create a Cherwell Ticket requesting an SQL Server database.
- Enter your VCU eID and password, at the dashboard, choose Servers, Storage & Data.
- Choose request new Database.
- Continue to fill out the form and submit upon completion.
- You will be contacted if there are any questions or when the database has been created and is available for use.
If you need the SQL Server Management Studio, please download SQL Server Express and install the client tools.
Contact the VCUCC DBA staff for more detail or if you have questions about the SQL Server database services provided by the VCUCC.
This article was updated: 01/9/2020