Blackboard Upgrade - May 15, 2018
The Blackboard System system will be upgraded to the newer version 9.1 Q4 2017 Release on May 15-16, 2018
Begin Time: Tuesday, May 15th, 2018, 8:00pm (EST)
End Time: Wednesday, May 16th, 2018, 8:00pm (EST)
Tutorials and help articles will be updated and made available in the Technology Services askIT Knowledge Base for Blackboard 9.1.
- Improve Grading with Rubrics - When grading with rubrics, the grader can now save feedback and the content will remain saved when changing the rubric's view from in-line to full screen.
- Crocodoc to New Box View update
- Refer to our existing documentation
- Chemistry notation support - The math editor found in the Content Editor has been updated to a newer version of WIRIS. This version adds tools specific to chemistry including an embedded periodic table of elements.
- Course availability status and update - Instructors and other privileged course members can see the availability state of the course and change the state from the main course view. All privileged users in a course see an open or closed padlock representing the availability state of the course to students on a Module Page only. This is in the course edit management areas with tools such as Student Preview and the Edit Mode toggle.
- SCORM Engine Update - The integrated SCORM player has been updated to a newer version that improves playback of responsive content and better supports SCORM packages in right-to-left languages such as Arabic
- Collaborate Ultra Integration Update - Add Collaborate Ultra to your group tools - Instructors can add Collaborate Ultra sessions to Groups pages in the Original Course View of Blackboard Learn. If instructors allow, students can share content and use the whiteboard, as well as create recordings. Institutions need a Collaborate license to use this in their courses.
- Additional ARIA landmarks in the Course View - Blackboard has incorporated ARIA landmarks in the course menu and the content area to better define the page structure and assist users with screen readers in navigating page elements.
- More responsive Blogs and Journals tools - Blogs and Journals have been better optimized for use on mobile devices. Posts and comments composed with responsive content will render on smaller devices. Options for filtering posts or navigating groups or users will appear below currently viewed posts.
- Mobile device navigation improvements - This release includes navigation improvements for the system and course menus. When users access Blackboard Learn through their mobile devices, the navigation has been moved to a hamburger menu for persistent access from screen to screen. Tabs and subtabs also appear in navigation choices. My Blackboard has been incorporated into the system menu for easier access. Within a course, the menu opens and closes more easily with fixed location action rather than tab.
- Discussion Board "Replies to Me" - Keeping up with large Discussion Board forums is easier by giving participants a count and filter to just look at new replies from others to posts made the participant.
- Additional Drag and Drop Locations - File drag and drop are now supported in the following areas:
- Content Collection – file upload page replacing Java-dependent interface
- Content Editor – embed attachment
- Blank Page content type
- Blog – Create Entry
- Journal – Create Entry
- Portfolio – add Artifact
- If the browser allows, users can drag a folder of files and the files will upload individually
VCU Learning Systems Team
More information about the upgrade is posted in the Learning Systems Announcement blog.