Assigning Partial Credit
When you enable partial credit, a portion of the total points for a question is awarded when an answer is not entirely correct. You can enable partial credit during question creation or when editing a question.
Partial credit is available for the following question types:
- Calculated Formula
- Fill in Multiple Blanks
- Jumbled Sentence
- Multiple Answer
- Multiple Choice
- Opinion Scale/Likert Question
- Quiz Bowl
For example, you include the following Multiple Choice question with four answers: "What is on a beach?" If the correct answer, "sand," is awarded 5 points, but another choice is "the ocean," you can set partial credit to 40%, awarding 2 points for that answer. If partial credit is enabled but negative points is not, valid percentage values for a question are 0.0 to 100.0.
Note: The partial credit option does not appear for pools or surveys.
Use the following steps to enable the partial credit option and use it for individual questions:
1. On the Test Canvas, click Question Settings in the top right-hand corner.
2. On the Test Question Settings page, select Specify partial credit options for answers.
3. Click Submit.
4. For each appropriate question, select the check box for Allow Partial Credit.
5. For each incorrect answer, type a value in the Partial Credit % box. This number is read as a percent. For example, typing 50 will give the student 50% of the question’s possible points for selecting that answer. Zero is an acceptable value.
6. Click Submit.
After students submit attempts, you may not disable the partial credit option on the Test Question Settings page. To remove the partial credit option from an individual question in a test with attempts, clear the question's check box for Allow Partial Credit. Click Submit and Update Attempts and then OK. All test attempt scores are recalculated.
Tip: If you make partial credit available, mention this in the test instructions to encourage a greater degree of test participation.
This article was updated: 04/27/2017