A syllabus can be created in two ways; upload an existing file or use the Blackboard Learn Syllabus Builder. For both options, you create the syllabus in a course/organization area, such as a Content Area, Learning Module, Lesson Plan, or folder.
1. Turn Edit Mode to ON.
2. Click on the content area (i.e. Course Information, Course Documents, etc.) where the file is to be uploaded.
3. Hover over the Build Content button.
4. Click Syllabus.
5. Type a Name for the content item.
Using an Existing File
Uploading an existing file for a syllabus minimizes vertical scrolling because it takes up less space in the course/organization area. If you have an existing syllabus file or files, this method is the most efficient way to create the syllabus.
6a. If you already have a syllabus created in a word document, pdf or some other form, select the Use Existing File option and attach a file using one of the following options:
- To upload a file from your computer, click Browse My Computer.
- To upload a file from the course's/organization's Content System, click Browse Content Collection.
6b. Select the Create New Syllabus option.
7b. Click Submit.
8. On the Syllabus Builder page, type a name and descriptions using the Description, Learning Objectives, and Required Materials boxes.
9. Under Syllabus Design, select the Styles and Colors for the syllabus.
10. Under Build Lessons, select the Create Specified Number of Lesson Shells option, and type a number. Type Lesson information in later steps. Alternatively, you can select Do Not Create Lesson Shells.
11. Select Yes to Permit Users to View this Content.
12. Click Submit.
** If you did not create Lesson Shells, your syllabus is complete.
If you selected to Create Specified Number of Lesson Shells, you will need to provide details for Lessons
You can Add Lessons in the top left-hand corner and Edit the Syllabus in the top right-hand corner.
This article was updated: 05/17/2017