In the Grade Center, you can use categories to group related columns together and organize the data.
With categories, you can:
- Filter your view of the Grade Center. For example, you can filter using the Assignment category and view only assignment columns in the Grade Center grid.
- Calculate grades. For example, you can assign a weight to a category when calculating final grades using a weighted column.
- Create a smart view. Smart views are views of the Grade Center based on a variety of student criteria. For example, you can generate a smart view that only displays columns associated with the test category.
- Create a report. You can create a printable report that displays statistics of performance for all of the columns in a certain category.
By default, the following categories are created in the Grade Center:
- Discussion board
- SafeAssignment (when the tool is available and a SafeAssignment has been created)
- Self and Peer Assessment
- Wiki (when the tool is available and a wiki has been created)
When you create a gradable item from the preceding list, a grade column is created automatically for the item in the Grade Center. The column is associated automatically to the appropriate category.
Example: You create a gradable discussion forum titled “Week 1 Discussion.” A grade column with that name is included in the Grade Center. The column is associated automatically to the Discussion category.
You cannot edit the name and description or delete seven of the default categories, but you can move a column from one category to another category. When they appear, you are allowed to edit the name and the description of the SafeAssignment and Wiki categories, but you cannot delete them. You can also create an unlimited number of categories to organize grades. You manually associate columns to categories on the Column Organization page or by editing an individual column's settings.
Create and Mange Categories
You can create as many categories as needed to organize your Grade Center data. The Categories page in the Grade Center displays the default categories and any you create. Each category’s row displays an optional description and the grade columns associated with that particular category.
Tip: When you create a grade column, you can associate it with a category. If you do not, it defaults to No Category. You can also create custom categories before manually creating grade columns. Then, when you create a grade column, you can select the appropriate custom category. For example, you can create a Group category and associate the group participation and attendance grade columns to it.
After you create a new category, you can do the following:
- Associate new columns to the category when creating the columns.
- Move existing columns to the category.
Create a Category
1. Control Panel >> Grade Center >> Full Grade Center >> Manage >> Categories.
2. Click Create Category.
3. Type the category Name and an optional Description. The description can help differentiate categories and explain a category’s purpose.
4. Click Submit.
Sort, Edit, and Delete Categories
On the Categories page, you can sort the list, and edit and delete categories you created. You cannot edit the name and description or delete seven of the default categories. When they appear, you are allowed to edit the name and the description of the SafeAssignment and Wiki categories, but you cannot delete them.
To sort the Title column, click the column heading or caret. If many categories exist, click Show All to display all categories on one page. Click Edit Paging to change the number of items to view per page.
To edit or delete a category you created, access its contextual menu and select Edit or Delete. Alternatively, select one or multiple check boxes or select the check box in the header row and click Delete on the action bar. You cannot delete a category that has columns associated with it.
View a Category and Associate Columns
In the Grade Center, you can view the columns associated with a category in two ways. You can filter the view of the Grade Center and select a category, or you can view all categories and associated columns on the Column Organization page. If you did not associate columns with a category when created, you can manually associate columns on the Column Organization page or when editing a column’s settings. For example, you can create a category for a group project and associate the columns that pertain.
The Filter Function1. In the Grade Center, click Filter on the action bar to expand the Filter field.
This article was updated: 11/16/2017