You can create formal groups of students/participants to collaborate on course work, and provide each group with its own group area. You can include links to group tools to help students collaborate and communicate. For example, you can create a special group discussion board, available only to the members of a course group.
Group discussion boards are separate from the regular course discussion board, which is available to all course members. Members of a group can create and manage their own forums.
How to Enable Group Discussions
When you create a course group, enable the discussion board tool to help groups collaborate and communicate.
- On the Create Group page, select the check box for Discussion Board in the Tool Availability section.
- Click Submit.
The Group Discussion Board tool appears in the My Groups section and on the group homepage.
How to Make Groups Discussions Unavailable
You cannot delete a group discussion board without deleting the group, but you can make the tool unavailable. Existing posts are not removed—just made unavailable until you make the group discussion board available again.
Note: When you make a graded group discussion board unavailable, the grade column associated with that group discussion board remains in the Grade Center.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Users and Groups section and click Groups.
- Change Edit Mode to ON. On the Groups page, access the group's contextual menu and click Edit.
- On the Edit Group page, clear the check box for Discussion Board in the Tool Availability section.
- Click Submit.
When members access their group homepage or the My Groups section, the link to the group discussion board no longer appears. You can make the tool available again at any time.
How to Edit the Settings for Group Disucssions
Each new group discussion board contains a default forum titled with the group's name. You and all assigned group members can edit the forum name and provide a description.
Additional Info: If you want to grade participation in a group discussion board, you can edit a forum's settings and enable grading in the forum or threads. Unlike other graded group activities, when you set a group discussion board to graded, each member is graded independently of other group members. Each group member must make the designated number of posts to earn his or her own grade. You do not assign a group grade for contributions to the group discussion board.
- On the Control Panel, expand the Course Tools section and click Discussion Board.
- On the Discussion Board page, the course discussion board and all group discussion boards appear. Click a group discussion board link.
- On the next Discussion Board page, access the forum's contextual menu and click Edit.
- On the Edit Forum page, change the Name, provide a Description, and edit the Forum Availability and Forum Settings. If you want to grade the group's posts, you can enable grading for the forum or threads and type the Points possible.
If you provided a description, it appears in the Description column on the group discussion board page.
You or any group member can create more forums.