Create Group Assignments
Positive interdependence can help produce meaningful relationships, greater productivity, and growth.
To be sure students do collaborate and interact, you can use the groups tool and group assignments to foster an interactive online environment. A good rule of thumb to use before adding group activities is to only assign group work for projects that an individual student cannot do as well independently, and finish in the set amount of time.
You can create a group assignment and release it to one or more groups within your course. Each group submits one collaborative assignment and all members receive the same grade. You can create a single assignment and assign it to all groups, or create several unique assignments and assign them to individual groups. Only you and the members in a group have access to the assignment.
The overall grade for an assignment can appear to users as a numeric value, letter grade, percentage, text, or as complete/incomplete. You can choose the primary display for the group assignment column created automatically in the Grade Center.
Things to be Cautious About
- A course group must exist prior to creating group assignments for it.
- Students who are enrolled in more than one group receiving the same assignment will be able to submit more than one attempt for this assignment. You may need to provide these students with an overall grade for the assignment.
- Students who are not enrolled at the time that a group assignment has been submitted do not have access to that submission. These students can see only that the submission occurred.
- Students who you remove from a group cannot see the group assignments. They can access their submissions from My Grades.
- If you edit the assignment between creation and the due date, the entire group may lose any work already in progress.
- If you delete a group from the assignment after they have begun the work and prior to submission, they will lose access to the assignment and lose their work.
Create a Group Assignment
1. In a content area, hover the Assessment and click Assignment.
2. On the Create Assignment page, provide instructions and files.
3. Type the Points Possible, and optionally, associate a rubric.
4. In the Submission Details area, select Group Submission.
5. In the Items to Select box, select the group or groups. Click the right-pointing arrow to move the selection into the Selected Items box. For Windows, to select multiple groups in a row, press and hold the Shift key and click each group. To select groups out of sequence, press the Ctrl key and click each group. For Macs, press the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. You can also select all groups with the Select All function.
6. Select the check box to Make the Assignment Available and the option for Number of Attempts.
7. Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions do not affect the assignment availability, only when it appears. Optionally, add aDue Date.
8. Click Submit.
In the following example, the group assignment appears in the Assignments content area where it was created and on the group homepage. The following image shows the instructor view.
About Multiple Attempts
You can allow students/participants to submit their work for a group assignment more than once. The group can receive feedback and a grade for each submission.
When you allow multiple attempts for an assignment, you can also select which attempt to use in the Grade Center from the Score attempts using drop-down list.