Edit and Manage Journals
You can edit basic properties of a journal topic, including the name, instructions, availability, and some settings. You can also edit any user's journal entries, and delete journal topics and comments.
Edit a Journal
1. Turn Edit Mode ON.
2. On the Journals listing page, access a journal's chevron button and click Edit.
3. On the Edit Journal page, make desired changes.
4. Click Submit.
Delete a Journal
If you no longer need a journal, you can delete it. Deleting a journal is permanent.
Note: If a journal is gradable, the Delete Confirmation page appears. You need to perform extra steps to remove a gradable journal.
1. Turn Edit Mode ON.
2. On the Journals listing page, access a journal's chevron button and click Delete.
3. Click OK in the pop-up warning. The Delete Confirmation page appears. You have two options:
- Do not select check boxes: The journal is deleted, but the Grade Center column and scores you have assigned are retained. For example, all student entries are graded and you want to keep the Grade Center column for the final grade calculations. If you delete a journal, yet retain the Grade Center column, you can delete that column from the Grade Center at any time.
- Select the check boxes: The grade column in the Grade Center and the journal are deleted. For example, if you do not want to include the grade column for the journal entries in the final grade, you can safely delete all.
4. Click Remove to complete the deletion.
Troubleshooting Journal Management
|You delete a journal while users are posting||The journal and all comments are deleted.|
|You make journal unavailable while users are posting||The journal remains visible to you in Edit Mode, but does not appear to users.|
|You change the Allow Users to Edit and Delete Entries setting||Entries remain, but users cannot edit them.|
|You change the Allow Users to Delete Comments setting||Comments remain, but users cannot delete them.|
|You enable journal grading||You cannot change this setting. Delete the journal and the Grade Center column to remove it. If you need the journal entries, but not the grades, you can decide to not include the Grade Center column for the journal in Grade Center calculations.|