Respondus LockDown Browser (RLB)
Respondus LockDown Browser is a client application that is installed to a local computer. It provides a custom interface for the Internet Explorer (Windows) or Safari (Macintosh) software that is already installed on the computer. It does not modify an existing copy of Internet Explorer or Safari, but rather, installs a separate program that will display the custom browser when it is started. Respondus LockDown Browser uses the same security features and service packs that are currently installed for Internet Explorer or Safari. Installing Respondus LockDown Browser won't modify the current version of Internet Explorer or Safari in any way.
Respondus LockDown Browser creates a “locked” testing environment for Blackboard.
Respondus LockDown Browser is not intended to replace the browser used by faculty/leaders or students/participants within Blackboard. Responds LockDown Browser is only intended for use by students/participants while taking assessments that have been prepared for use with Responds LockDown Browser. This browser has not been tested for use in other areas of the Blackboard Learning System.
Minimum System Requirements
Mobile Devices: Users cannot take tests that use Respondus LockDown Browser on their mobile devices.
When going to the Tools/Communications button, students/participants will not be able to access Respondus LockDown Browser from this area. This tools is strictly for instructor/leaders use to set up the feature on individual tests. Students/Participants will see a message that says "You are not authorized to access this page."
Instead students/participants will come in contact with Respondus LockDown Browser when attempting to take a test, quiz, or survey, assuming the instructor/leader enabled the feature on that individual assessment.
To Install Respondus LockDown Browser:
Note: Use a standard Windows or Macintosh installer that can be downloaded by faculty/leader or students/participants from the following link (Note: this link is unique for your institution):
2. Select Windows or Mac (whichever you are using).
3. Select if you are using a Lab Computer, Your own Computer, or a Work Computer.
4. The file downloaded will have the name LockDownSFX.exe. Locate and double-click the file to start the setup process. Follow the on screen instructions.
5. Once installed, locate the RLB icon on your desktop and double-click it to launch the software.
You can then begin the test provided by your instructor/leader. This installation is only needed once on a single computer. If you already have the software installed, simply start the software and continue with the directions below:
1. Make sure the RLB is launched. You will be prompted to close out of any of the various softwares you currently have running.
2. Click on the actual test as if you are going to begin taking it.
3. Click Begin.
4. Enter the password provided by your instructor/leader. If the instructor did not provide a password, select No and click Continue.
5. Click Submit.
6. Complete the test as you normally would.
Note: You will not be able to leave the test until is has been Submitted.
This article was updated: 11/16/2017