Cross-List Course Sections
Things to know before cross-listing...
1. Sometimes section names will be the same making it hard to identify which course you are merging. Here are instructions on how to Rename Sections.
2. Once a course is cross-listed only the parent shell (or the course all sections will be merged INTO) will be visible to all users on the Dashboard and the All Courses list. All other courses will disappear.
3. Make sure the the parent course shell has a title all of the students can identify with; this way, once everything is complete the course they end up with will have a title that will not confuse them into thinking they are in the wrong course - Edit a Course Name.
4. When cross-listing all users (including Teachers and TAs) will be moved to the parent shell.
Cross-listing allows you to move section enrollments from individual courses and combine them into one course. This feature is helpful for instructors who teach several sections of the same course (or different courses that need to be merged together, i.e. HIST course merged with an AFAM course) and only want to manage course data in one location. Instructors can allow students to view users in other sections or limit them to only view users in the same section. Section names do not change when they are cross-listed; the section is just moved to another course.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Cross-listing should be done while courses are unpublished. Coursework is retained with the course, not with the section enrollments, so if a published course is cross-listed, all cross-listed enrollments will lose any associated assignment submissions and grades.
To cross-list a course, you must know the name of the course or the course ID into which you are cross-listing. However, using a course ID is a better way to confirm you are cross-listing a section into the correct course. You can find the course ID by opening the course and viewing the number at the end of the browser URL (e.g. account.instructure.com/courses/XXXXXX).
Sections can only be in one course at a time. Once a section is cross-listed, you can re-cross-list the section into another course if necessary.
Note: Before you can cross-list a section, the course must contain at least one enrollment.
Students do see all other students from each cross-listed section/course within the "People section" if the instructors chooses to leave it open. Discussions/Assignments/
Instructors can communicate with one section or the entire course. Thhis can be done in announcements or in messages.
1. Starting with the course you are cross-listing FROM, in Course Navigation, click Settings.
2. Click the Sections tab.
3. CLICK the title of the section you want to cross-list (FROM).
4. On the right-hand side, click the Cross-List this Section button.
5. In the Search for Course field , enter the name/title of the course which you are cross-listing INTO. Or, in the Course ID field , enter the ID number for the course [you are cross-listing INTO.]
NOTE: The ID number is found by going back to that course you are cross-listing INTO and getting the last number digits after the last slash of the URL (i.e https://virginiacommonwealth.instructure.com/courses/416)
6. Confirm you have selected the correct course . Click the Cross-List This Section button .
7. The cross-listed section now appears in the new course. The breadcrumbs show the new course code.
If you have moved a section to the incorrect shell, you can re-cross-list the section by moving it to a different shell. Sections can only be in one course at a time.
1. Go to the shell that you MEANT to cross-list INTO. This will be the new parent shell.
2. Copy the course ID from the URL.
3. Go back to the shell you incorrectly cross-listed your section INTO.
4. Go to the course Settings
5. Click on the Sections tab
6. Click on the section you want to move
7. Click on the "Re-Cross-List this section" button located on the right-hand side.
8. In the box labeled "Or Enter the Course's ID:", paste the course ID you just copied from the new parent shell (see steps 1 and 2 above.)
9. Hit the enter/return key, and verify that the course that displays under "Selected Course:" is the correct one
10. Click the "Cross-List This Section" button
You will see a message that the section was successfully cross-listed, and you will notice (in the top left-hand corner of the coursre) that you have now been taken automatically to the new parent shell.
*De-Cross-Listing can only be done by a VCU Canvas Admin but here is what you need to know before making this request...
If you cross-listed a section from a course, you may be able to cross-list the same section back into the original course. This process is called de-cross-listing and returns all student enrollments back to the original course section.
However, once you de-cross-list enrollments, all grades and student submissions (i.e. Discussion Board posts and replies, Assignment Submissions, etc.) are removed from the course (since the course can no longer associate the information with any course enrollments).
If you need to retain student grades and put them in the original course, you should export the Gradebook and import it into the original course before de-cross-listing the section.
Note: If you de-cross-list a section that includes student grades, Canvas will include a message that all grades will no longer be visible. If you need to retain student grades and put them in the original course, you should export the Gradebook and import it into the original course before de-cross-listing the section.