Import Blackboard Content into Canvas
- In your Blackboard [individual] course(s) go to Control Panel > Packages and Utilities > Export/Archive Course
- Click Export Package at top of page.
- You will be taken to a page that allows you to select the course items that you wish to include in the Export Package. You can check all boxes, indicating you want to export all content, or check select boxes, to indicate only select content you would like to export.
- Click Submit. You will see a message that says, "Action has been queued." you will receive an email when the export package is complete.
- Return to the Export/Archive page (you may need to refresh the page) and you will see a link to a zip file.
- Download the zip file to your computer.
Note: Importing may require users to rearrange content throughout the course. Importing will not overwrite any content but instead will make duplicates of content that may already be present.
1. Browse to your course in Canvas and select the Settings button at the bottom of your course menu.
2. On the right side of the settings page, click Import Course Content.
3. Click the dropdown menu labeled Content Type at the top of the page and select Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export .zip file.
4. A Source - Choose File button will appear, browse to the Blackboard zip file that you exported and saved previously and select it.
5. Choose to add test questions (if any are included in your Bb zip file) to an existing question bank in Canvas or create a new question bank.
6. Select All Content or Select Specific Content. The selection of specific content is accomplished in a subsequent step of the process.
Note: If you select the specific content option, you are required to select the content you want to import after you review the remaining page options. After you start importing the content, the import selection cannot be canceled.
7. In most cases you should leave the setting for 'Overwrite assessment content with matching IDs' unchecked.
8. The Adjust events and due dates gives you the option of shifting all dates, substituting a day with a different day (for example move all Tuesday events to Wednesday), and lastly you have the option of entirely removing all dates and then manually adjusting the dates on individual items after import.
9. Click the Import button. You will see a progress bar.
10. If you checked the option to Select Specific Content, after the import is complete you will see a button labeled Select Content.
Click this button and you will see a list of course content arranged by item type. You can check a box to select all of the items of a particular type (question banks for example) or you can expand the list and choose only specific items from a list.
Select All Group Content
Content can be individual items  or a content group . Content groups show the number of items within the group. To view content within a group, click the group's expand icon .
To import all content for a content type, click the checkbox next to the content name . If the content type is a group, Canvas automatically selects all items within the group.
Select Specific Group Content
To import only a few items from a content group, expand the group and select the specific items to be imported . Canvas places a dash in the content group checkbox , indicating not all items are selected within the group.
The report displays a menu bar with the time remaining to complete the import. View the content from any completed imports by accessing any link in Course Navigation.
The import may also display errors as part of the import status. Learn more about course import statuses.
What should I do now that my Blackboard content has been imported?
Before doing anything else, you should first manage your files.
1. In the course, click Files.
2. Click on the Add Folder button in the top right-hand corner and create 3 folders (in all caps [to help differentiate from the folders already presesnt], create - DOCUMENTS, IMAGES, and MEDIA)
3. Then go through each folder and proceed to move all pdf, txt, doc, etc. into the DOCUMENTS folder, all the jpeg, png, etc. files into the IMAGES folder and all the mov, mp4, etc, files into the MEDIA folder. Once all folder contents are moved to the appropriate folder and empty you should delete everything except the 3 folders you created.
Note: Different file types can be found by using the course file search box. Once foud, you can "select all" and drag and drop them into the appropiate folders.