How to Use Student View
The Student View allows instructors to see what course content, assignments, quizzes, and other activities look like from a student's vantage point. Student View can be helpful as you review your course to ensure that the assignments and course materials that you have created are working as you intend. Generally, most content looks the same to instructors and students in Canvas, but it can be helpful to view your course from the perspective of your students when working with grading and assignments.
Student View can also be used to submit dummy assignments in your course, which will allow you to practice grading in SpeedGrader and to practice entering grades in the Canvas Gradebook.
If you submit a dummy assignment for grading as the Test Student, a row in the grade book appears with the name "Test Student". You can also remove any content you submitted as a student by clicking Reset Student, located on the gray bar at the bottom of the page when in Student View.
Note: Some external tools can’t be viewed in Student View including Kaltura, Zoom, VoiceThread, and Google Docs. Don’t worry, actual students will be able to see these tools in your Canvas course.
You can use Student View to:
- Check that you’ve published all the content you want your students to have access to.
- Preview and test any task you wish your student to complete, for example, a quiz or a discussion forum.
- Preview the SpeedGrader in preparation for marking an assessment task.
- Test Marks, which is Canvas’ version of Gradebook.
Enter Student View
1. While in the course, click the Settings link.
2. On the far right-hand side, click the Student View button.
Leave Student View
Click the Leave Student View button located in the bottom right-hand corner.
For further information, see these guides from Instructure:
- How do I access Student View? - Links to an external site
- Where can I find the Student View of the Gradebook?