Create a Cloud Assignment Using Google Drive
You can create an online assignment that embeds a document directly from your Google Drive folder. Accepted assignment types are Google Documents, Spreadsheets, and Slides. Please note that in cloud assignments, Google Slide presentations are not displayed in presentation mode.
When students open the assignment, Google Drive will create a copy of the file as the student’s submission. Students can make changes per the assignment instructions directly from the Canvas assignment page. When they are ready to submit the assignment, they can submit the assignment. The copied document is also added to the student’s Google Drive folder for the course.
You can also view each student's document copy in SpeedGrader for grading. Submitted assignments are converted to a PDF to show the assignment at the time of submission. If students made any changes to their assignment, they will have to resubmit it for the changes to be visible in SpeedGrader.
The Google Apps LTI currently includes a few limitations when creating assignments:
- You cannot use Google Drive files in an external tool for group assignments.
- If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Create the assignment with any other submission type, save the assignment, add the rubric, and then edit the assignment to select the External Tool.
- If you want your assignment to be moderated, you must set up the moderated assignment before setting the External Tool submission type. If you need to return to the moderate page after the External Tool is added, open the assignment and add /moderate after the assignment URL.
- Google Drive cloud assignments cannot be viewed in Student View.
1. In Course Navigation, click the Assignments link.
2. Click the Add Assignment button.
3. Enter a name and description for your assignment, as well as any other assignment details such as point value, assignment group options, display selection.
Note: The Rich Content Editor includes a word count display below the bottom right corner of the text box.
4. In the Submission Type drop-down menu, select the External Tools option.
Note: If you want to use a Canvas rubric for the assignment, you must add the rubric before setting the External Tool submission type. Additionally, if you want to apply moderated grading, you must set up moderated grading before setting the External Tool submission type.
5. Click the Find button  or enter the External Tool URL in the URL field .
6. Locate and select Google Docs Cloud Assignment.
7. Locate and select the file you want to link to the assignment . Click the Submit button .
8. You'll go back to the Configure External Tools box located above in step 6. Click the Select button.
9. If you are ready to publish your assignment, click the Save & Publish button. If you want to create a draft of your assignment and publish it later, click the Save button.