External App Submission Type
When you create an assignment, you can choose to add an external app (LTI tool) as a submission type. External apps must be added in your course before they can be added to an assignment.
- The External Tool submission type does not support group assignments or peer reviews.
- Grade passback from external applications (LTI tools) to the Canvas Gradebook is not restricted by course start dates. When students have access to a course before a course start date, they can participate in assignments using some external applications (LTI tools), and grades for those assignments will populate the Gradebook.
1. In the Submission Type drop-down menu, select the External Tool option.
2. Click the Find button  or enter the External Tool URL in the URL field .
3. Click the name of the LTI tool . Depending on the tool type, you may be taken to a separate screen for further configuration.
If you want the assignment to load in a new tab, click the Load in a new tab checkbox . Click the Select button .
Note: If you enabled the Load in a new tab checkbox when configuring the external tool, the Load this Tool In A New Tab checkbox will already be selected.
4. If you are ready to publish your assignment, click the Save & Publish button. If you want to create a draft of your assignment and publish it later, click the Save button.