Google Drive Assignments
How do I create an assignment?
1. You can create assignments on the Assignments page. You can create an assignment shell, which is a placeholder for an assignment within an assignment group, or you can create an entire assignment with all the assignment details at the same time.
2. Add a Google Drive Item to the Assignment Description
Above the assignment description text area, click on the blue, downward pointing arrow for More External Tools, and select Google Drive.
3. Find the desired document
Locate and select the document to be used as an assignment description/prompt and decide whether to embed it in the page or link to it externally.
In this case, it is recommended that you embed the document.
If you chose embed, in the assignment editing window, you will see your document embedded in the assignment description area.
Review/Finish your assignment options and Save or Save & Publish your assignment.
Linking your google drive to Canvas
How do I link my Google Drive to Canvas?
1. Make sure you are not logged in to Google
Check whether you're signed into any other Google accounts. To do so, go to google.com and look at the upper right.
If you see this blue Sign in button, proceed to Step 2: Make sure you are not logged in to the Chrome Browser
If you see a circular profile image or your initials:
- Click the profile image or first initial to view the accounts that you're currently logged into.
- Click Sign out to sign out of all of your Google accounts.
2. Make sure you are not logged in to the Chrome Browser
If you are not using Google Chrome, proceed to Step 3: Open Google Drive in the Course Navigation Menu.
If you are using Google Chrome:
1. Click the three dots in the upper left corner of the browser window to open the menu.
2. Click Settings.
3. In the People area at the top:
If you see a SIGN IN TO CHROME button, proceed to Step 3: Open Google Drive in the Course Navigation Menu.
If you see your Name and a SIGN OUT button, click SIGN OUT.
3. Open Google Drive in the Course Navigation Menu
To link your Google Drive to your Canvas account, start by selecting Google Drive from any Course Navigation Menu.
4. Authorize your Google Account
If you have no currently linked Google account to your Canvas account, you will see a message prompting you to log in.
At the bottom of this page is an AUTHORIZE button to log into your Google Account.
5. Sign into your Google Account
After clicking AUTHORIZE, you will either be logged in automatically or you will be prompted to enter your email address.
If you are prompted to enter your email address, make sure to use your VCU email.
If prompted, allow instructure.com access to your Google Drive.
6. View your Google Drive
Once your accounts are linked, you should see the contents of your Google Drive.