Duplicate an Event
When creating a calendar event, if you want to create the same event multiple times for a course, you can create a duplicate event. Duplicating events creates multiple copies of the event every day, week, or month. For example, you may create a duplicate course event for student study groups every week. You will not grade students on whether or not they have participated in the study group, but you are providing a resource activity on a specific day to help them organize their time and prepare for your course more efficiently.
Once created in a course calendar, duplicate events are not linked together and are independent events. Therefore, if users need to modify an event, each event has to be modified individually. Additionally, duplicate events can only be created when creating a new event; editing an existing event does not display the duplicate option.
Tips for duplicate events:
- Weekly events are duplicated on the day of the week of the first event. For instance, if an event is created on a Monday and repeats weekly, the next instance of the event will appear on the following Monday, regardless of the actual date.
- Monthly events are duplicated on the day of the month of the first event. For instance, if an event is created on July 6 and repeats monthly, the next instance of the event will appear on August 6.
1. In Global Navigation, click the Calendar link.
2. Click any date on the calendar to add an event . Or, click the arrows next to the month name to navigate to a different month  and select a date.
If you don't want to manually locate the date, you can click the Add icon .
3. Enter the details as you would when adding an individual event. In the Calendar drop-down menu, select the course calendar for the event. Click the More Options button.
4. Click the Duplicate checkbox.
Note: If you cannot see the checkbox, you selected the wrong course calendar when creating the new event.
5. By default, events are set to repeat every week .
If you want to change the repeating event to daily or monthly, click the Week(s) drop-down menu and select your preferred time range. You may also have to change the number that precedes the time period.
By default, events are set to create one occurrence , meaning it will create the initial event plus one additional (two total events). If you want to change the number of additional occurrences, enter the number in the text field. The calendar event supports up to 200 additional occurrences.
If you want to automatically add a number to the end of each event title (such as Event 1, Event 2, etc.), click the Number each event checkbox .
6. Click the Create Event button.
7. View the events in your course calendar.
Remember, once created, duplicate events are not linked together and are independent events. Therefore, if you need to modify an event, each event has to be edited individually.