Course Chat Tool
The Chat tool can be used for real-time conversation with course users. Any user in the course can participate in a chat conversation and view all chat content. Currently there is no load limit for a course chat, but larger numbers of course users may affect performance.
Instructors can use the chat tool to allow students to contact them when online, create virtual office hours, conduct group discussions or study sessions.
A user must be actively viewing the chat tool to appear in the chat list. You may consider posting chat hours in the course calendar to let students know when you are available. You can also open Chat in a new browser window while viewing other areas in Canvas.
- To disable chat in your course, you can disable the Chat link in Course Navigation.
- Safari 13.1 contains an update that may cause issues with chat alerts. You can avoid errors with files and images by disabling cross-site tracking prevention in Safari when using Canvas.
- Chat is a course tool that is available to all students in the course and cannot be limited to specific students.
- All users in the course can also access the chat history.
- Students cannot delete chat comments.
By default, the Chat tool may be disabled in your course.
1. To enable chat, go to the Course Settings.
2. Click the Navigation tab.
3. Drag and drop the link above the hidden section or select the 3 dots menu and select Enable.
4. Click the Save button.
In Course Navigation, click the Chat link.
When you open the Chat page, you immediately join the chat. Chat discussion appears in the content window .
To receive audio alerts for new chat messages, click the New message alerts button .
Note: You will receive audio alerts if Chat is open in Canvas but is not the active browser window. You will not receive alerts if you leave Chat to view another area in Canvas. Alert capabilities may vary between browsers.
Message history for each course is included in the chat. Chat history can be accessed indefinitely by loading more results and scrolling through previous course chats.
View Online Users
Chat displays the number of users who are in the chat . To view a list of these users , hover your cursor over the number.
View Time Stamp
When a user sends multiple chat messages without another user sending a message, all messages will appear under the first message's time stamp. To view additional time stamps, hover your cursor over the message.
Send a Chat Messages
To send a chat message, enter your message in the chat window . To add an emoji to your message, click the Emoji icon . Then click the Send button .
Delete a Chat Message
You can delete messages in the chat from any user.
To delete a chat message, hover your cursor over the message  and click the Delete icon .
Note: Deleting messages is permanent. You cannot restore a deleted message.