Manage Course Navigation Links
As an instructor, you can control which links appear in Course Navigation. Canvas includes a set of default Course Navigation links that are shown by default and cannot be renamed. Depending on your course configuration, other links may be available and may be customizable.
Links to sections that don't have any content and that students cannot create content for will be automatically hidden for students and will display the Visibility icon to instructors. For example, if there are no learning outcomes set for the course, you will see the Outcomes link with the Visibility icon, but students will not see the link at all. Configured External Apps may create additional Course Navigation links.
Disabling a course navigation link creates the following redirects:
- Hidden only (cannot be disabled but still accessible via direct URL): Discussions and Grades
- Page disabled; redirected to Home page: Announcements, Assignments, Conferences, Collaborations, Files, Modules, Outcomes, Quizzes, Pages, People, Syllabus
- Page disabled; won't appear in navigation: Any LTI links, such as Attendance, Chat, and SCORM
Reordering and hiding Course Navigation links for Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, and Files also affects the course tabs in the Dashboard course view for all users. Additionally, disabling the Files link will hide the Files tab in the Content Selector in the Rich Content Editor for students.
The following course navigation links will still be visible to instructors even if they have been hidden or disabled: Home, Announcements, Assignments, Collaborations, Conferences, Discussions, Files, Grades, Modules, Outcomes, Pages, People, Quizzes, Settings, and Syllabus.
- Navigation links that cannot be disabled require the URL access to display related data in other Canvas areas. Access to hidden pages may be further restricted by changing specific student permissions in Canvas. Contact your Canvas admin for assistance.
- If you disable the Course Navigation link for an external tool, the link no longer displays in your Course Navigation list.
- If the course navigation link for the page is disabled and hidden from students, the Student View button does not display.
1. In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.
2. Click the Navigation tab.
3. You can use the drag and drop option to reorder navigation links. Click the navigation link you would like to move. Drop the navigation link in the desired location by releasing the mouse.
You can use the Move To option to reorder an navigation link. Click the Options icon  and select the Move link .
Note: The Move To option only moves a navigation link within its respective section (visible or hidden). Hidden items must first be enabled before they can be ordered among visible navigation items. A hidden item cannot be moved directly to the enabled link section using the Move To option.
In the Move Navigation Item sidebar, click the Place drop-down menu and select the placement of the navigation link you are moving. You can move the link so it is located at the top of the list, before a specific navigation link, after a specific navigation link, or at the bottom of the list. Then click the Move button.
Hide a Navigation Link
To hide a navigation link, click the link Options icon  and select the Disable option .
You can also drag and drop the link to the hidden section at the bottom of the page.
Enable a Navigation Link
To enable a link in the hidden section , click the Options icon  and click the Enable button .
You can also drag and drop the link above the hidden section.
Be sure to click the Save button.
View the Course Navigation Menu. Navigation links will display in the same order that you have designated in Course Settings.
Any Course Navigation link that is hidden from students displays the Visibility icon . A link may be hidden to students because the feature area has no content or because the link is disabled.
Note: If you have disabled a Course Navigation link to an external tool, that link will not display in Course Navigation and is hidden to all course users, including instructors.
The following instructions will help you set up a link within your course navigation bar for external resources not already included in the native navigation. The text for the link is decided by you, and the link can be external or a Canvas page, resource or activity.
1. When in a course, click the Settings link on the course menu.
2. Click the Apps tab .
3. In the Filter by Name box, search Redirect Tool .
4. Click the Redirect Tool icon button .
5. Click the + Add App button.
6. Fill out the Add App details.
7. Click the Add App button.
8. Go back to the course Home button and select the (titled) Redirect Tool to confirm the link is going to the correct source.
Note: Sources configured to open in a new window will present the user with a blank Canvas page and an Open in New Tab button.
Repositioning the Redirect Tool in the Course Menu
1. Select Settings on the course menu.
2. Select the Navigation tab.
3. Click, hold, and drag to a location in the course menu order.
4. Click Save.
Edit the Redirect Tool
1. Click Settings on the course menu.
2. Click the Apps tab.
3. Click the View Apps Configuration button.
4. Scroll the find the title of the redirect tool you are trying to edit, click the gear icon, and choose Edit.
5. Make the desired edits and click Submit.
6. Go back to the course Home button and select the (titled) Redirect Tool to confirm the link is going to the correct source.