Add a New Item within a Module
You can add new or existing content items in Canvas to a module. You can also add an item to multiple modules, or multiple iterations of an item to one module.
When you add items to a Module, please be aware that the status of the Module itself overrides the state of the individual items within the Module. You may want to consider leaving all Module items in an unpublished state until you are ready to publish the entire Module.
- Canvas will accept most media files as uploads. However, it is recommended that you upload your media files in Kaltura and then embed them into your Canvas course so not to use up all of your allotted storage space. Also, not all media files can be played within Canvas.
- Uploaded files are automatically published and also display in Course Files. When adding a restricted file type to a Module, please be aware that restricted files act as published files and may be viewable to students. Learn more about restricting files in Canvas.
- Numerous module items may affect performance. Modules supports up to 100 module items in the student progress page.
- If your course requires you to set usage rights for a file, you must set the usage right before you can publish the file in a module.
1. In Course Navigation, click the Modules link.
2. To add an item, click the Add Item icon , or drag and drop to add files to an empty module .
3. Click the Add drop-down menu and select one of the following item types:
Note: Canvas will accept most media files as uploads. However, not all media files can be played within Canvas.
Add New Item
If you want to add a new item, click the [Create] link  and type a name in the name field .
Depending on the item type, when adding new content you may be asked to complete additional fields.
If you are adding a file to a module, you can upload a new file by clicking the Create File(s) link . Uploaded files are automatically published and also display in Course Files.
To select a file from your computer, click the Choose File(s) button . If enabled by your institution, you may be able to select multiple files.
To select a destination folder for your uploaded file, select an option in the Folder drop-down menu .
If an uploaded file is a duplicate of an existing file, Canvas displays a prompt asking if the file should be overwritten, renamed, or skipped.
Add Existing Item
If you have already created the item you want to add, click the name of the item. You can select more than one item to add.
Choose the Indentation drop-down menu to indent the item inside of the module.
4. Click the Add Item button.