Course Role Permissions
Canvas provides five base course-level user roles that each include their own set of default permissions. You can manage the permissions according to the needs of your institution. The Canvas base roles are:
- Student: These users are permitted to submit assignments. Student permissions are restricted, but they have enough permissions to access and interact with course materials.
- TA: These users have permissions similar to teachers except that TAs should not have access to SIS data. The TA role is meant to support the teacher role.
- Teacher: The teacher role grants a user course admin permissions, giving them control over their assigned course or courses.
- Designer: These users are permitted to access and create course content, including announcements, assignments, discussions, and quizzes. Designers cannot access grades.
- Observer: This user role can be linked to a student user enrolled in a course. For example, parents, guardians, and/or mentors may wish to be linked to a student to view their course progress. Observers usually have the fewest permissions.