Software Description: Kaltura is a cloud-based video management system that facilitates the conversion and distribution of audio and video formats online. It combines intuitive methods for recording, publishing and interactive viewing on any device in or outside of the classroom.
Platform: Windows, Mac, etc. (does not work on Microsoft Surface)
Cost: No Charge
This article was updated: 04/8/2019
Note: You may be prompted to enter your VCU eID and password.
Kaltura is VCU's cloud-based video management system that facilitates the conversion and distribution of audio and
video formats online. It combines intuitive methods for recording, publishing and interactive viewing on any
device in or outside of the classroom.
Why use it?
- Create more engaging content for your students.
- Unlimited, secure storage for audio, video and other types of rich-media content.
- Secure publishing and sharing of recorded content.
- Easily convert presentations or lectures to video.
- Make it easy for students to view videos. Kaltura detects the type of device (computer, phone, tablet, etc.) and
- provides playback in a compatible format.
- Integration with Canvas allows instructors to easily and securely:
- Embed videos to Kaltura.
- Make videos available to students in any Canvas course content areas that has the Rich Content Editor (RCE) such as Assignments, Discussions, Quizzes, Announcements, etc.
- Limit the viewing of videos to a specific course.
- Access My Media (personal repository) from within Canvas.
Change Video from Private to Unlisted
Changing Video Ownership within the Kaltura MediaSpace (KMS)
Captioning and Editing in Kaltura
Kaltura: Turn an Edited Transcript into Closed Captions with the Alignment Tool Feature
Kaltura Policies and Procedures
Kaltura Capture Space User Guide
To request Kaltura help contact the IT Support Center or send an email to email@example.com.