VCU Lecture Capture Transition
The following timeline is designed to help users and departmental stakeholders better understand the transition away from Echo360 as a centrally supported lecture capture option from Academic Technologies. Kaltura (and Cattura Capturecast hardware) will now be supported for all things lecture capture. Please direct any questions or requests for additional clarification/information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Moving forward, the available options for Lecture Capture are as follows:
Personal Capture - Kaltura Capture (personal Desktop/Laptop capture)
In-class Capture (Cattura hardware option) - Cattura CaptureCast (fully automated / scheduled capture that records what is being projected in the room, support audio, video, and computer display capture)
Classroom Capture (Software option) - Kaltura Classroom (fully automated / scheduled capture that records what is being presented from the podium PC).
May 31st, 2019 - Kaltura CaptureSpace made unavailable. Personal capture transition to Kaltura Capture.
June 30th, 2019 - EchoSystem Server - Streaming Disabled.
July, 2019 - Echo360 appliances removed from centrally-supported MCV classrooms. Replaced with Kaltura Classroom.
December 31st, 2019 - Decommissioning of legacy EchoSystem Server.
May 30th, 2020 - Deadline for replacing all centrally-supported lecture capture classrooms with Kaltura Classroom or Cattura Appliances.
June 30th, 2020 - Echo360 will no longer be centrally-supported by Technology Services.
- Kaltura CaptureSpace will no longer be available for download
- CaptureSpace is being replaced by Kaltura Capture (Personal version) and will no longer be supported by Kaltura. Please read more about how to get started with Kaltura’s new personal capture.
- The legacy lecture capture system (EchoSystem) still hosted at the university computer center will no longer stream video content and the EchoSystem Server will no longer be available to users outside the university firewall.
- The EchoSystem management interface will remain up for internal usage, so migrations of some content to Kaltura can continue until December 31st, 2019. During this time, it will be available to departmental admins for retrieval of video content.
- EchoSystem Server capture links in Blackboard and eCurriculum will cease to work.
- Echo360.org (EchoCloud) links will continue to work.
- Kaltura Classroom (automated capture installed on podium PCs) installed in centrally-supported classrooms on MCV campus.
- Echo360 appliances in the following locations will be replaced with Kaltura Classroom software:
- Sanger Hall B1-020
- MMRB 1013
- Archival of Echo360 Content still on the EchoSystem will continue as outlined in the Echo360 Data Retention Policy.
- The Echosystem Server will be brought down and the EchoSystem Server database will be backed up. Both the main server and database will be taken offline completely, once Learning Systems is satisfied that everything has been archived to SAN storage.
- Deadline for completing replacement of ALL central classrooms using Echo360 lecture capture with either Kaltura Classroom software OR Cattura hardware appliances.
- Includes the folllowing:
- Baruch Auditorium in the Egyptian Building.
- Sanger Hall 2-020 and 1-044.
- Echo360 (EchoSystem and Echo360.org) will no longer be centrally supported by Technology Services at VCU.
- Video content that needs to be transferred to Kaltura can be accomplished by downloading the available MP4 (audio and desktop content capture) from Echo360.org.
- Cattura CaptureCast will be the only hardware option available for purchase for lecture capture from Academic Technologies.