Respondus LockDown Browser (RLB)
Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser (RLB) creates a “locked” testing environment for Blackboard.
Description: RLB is a downloadable application that is installed on your local computer and provides a customized user interface within your internet browser. It does not modify existing browser(s), but installs a separate program that will display a custom browser when the RLB application is launched. Respondus LockDown Browser uses the same security features and service packs for the internet browser(s) already installed on your local computer.
RLB is not intended to replace the browser used by faculty or students with Blackboard. It is only intended for use by students while taking assessments that have been prepared for use with Respondus LockDown Browser.
RLB Software and Licensing Requirements
Cost: None. All VCU faculty, staff and students are licensed to use the product at no cost.
Conditions Of License
Use of the Respondus products included in this license is subject to all of the following conditions:
- The products may be installed on VCU owned PC's and on privately owned PC's.
- The use of the products under this license is restricted to VCU-related purposes ONLY. (Note that this applies regardless of how the installation media is obtained and who owns or uses the PC on which the products are installed.)
- The products may be used for VCU academic and administrative purposes.
- When you leave VCU you lose the right to use the products, and you must immediately uninstall them from all PCs on which you had installed them and on which you had authorized their installation.
- You may NOT resell this license and/or the products it covers.
Minimum System Requirements
- Windows: 10, 8, 7
- Mac: MacOS 10.14 to 10.12, OS X 10.11, OSX 10.10
- iOS: 7.0+ (iPad only), details
- Chromebook: (K-12 only), details
- Windows: 75 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- Mac: 120 MB permanent space on the hard drive
- Both the Windows and Mac editions of the browser are based on Chromium, Google's open source framework. Students do NOT need Google's Chrome browser installed; nor will this version used for RLB affect a Chrome browser that's already installed on a local computer.
Download and Install RLB
Note: This installation is only needed once on a single computer.
- Access the VCU-customized site: Download Respondus Lockdown Browser
- Select the appropriate option, depending on what computer you are using: Lab Computer, Your Own Computer, or a Work Computer.
- Locate the downloaded file (LockDownSFX.exe) and double-click to start the setup process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once installed, locate the Respondus Lockdown Browser icon on your desktop and double-click it to launch the application.
- "Fix It Error" displayed to instructors
- Knowledge Base - provides answers to frequently asked questions
- Quick Start Guides - for faculty and students
- Videos and Demos - short how-to videos for faculty and students
How to Make the Respondus Lockdown Browser Tool Available in Your Course
- In your Blackboard course navigate to Control Panel > Customization > Tool Availability
- Put a checkmark in the box beside Respondus LockDown Browser
- The tool will now be visible under Tools/Communications
How To Enable Respondus LockDown Browser on a Test
- In your Blackboard course, navigate to Tools/Communications
- Click Respondus LockDown Browser
- A list of all tests that have already been deployed in the course will be listed. Click Settings beside the test you would like to enable with Respondus Lockdown Browser.
- Select the option for Require Respondus Lockdown Browser For This Test. Do NOT enter a password.
- Click Submit
Taking a Test with Respondus Lockdown Browser
Note: Students will not be able to access Respondus LockDown Browser from the Tools/Communications area of a Blackboard course. This tool in Blackboard is strictly for instructor use. Students will receive a message that says "You are not authorized to access this page."
If you already have the RLB software installed, follow the directions below:
- Launch the RLB software. (You will be prompted to close out of any applications or browsers you currently have running.)
- Login to Blackboard.
- Navigate to your course and to the test.
- Click on the test link.
- Click Begin
- If the instructor provided a password, enter it when prompted. Otherwise, select No and click Continue.
- Click Submit.
- Complete the test as you normally would.
Note: You will not be able to exit the test until is has been submitted.