Description: Respondus is a powerful tool for creating and managing exams that can be printed to paper or published directly to Blackboard. Create a pool of questions in Respondus, then select which ones to use for tests, exams or other assignments.
Respondus helps students "master the basics" of course material through learning activities, self-assessments, and games. A dozen activities – such as flashcards, crosswords, and quizzes – engage students with course content in an individualized way. Students can access Respondus activities using computers, smartphones, and tablets.
Cost: No charge
Use the tabs below to download and start using Respondus today!
Respondus Software and Licensing Requirements
Cost: None. All VCU faculty and staff are licensed to use the product at no cost.
Conditions Of License
Use of the Respondus products included in this license is subject to all of the following conditions:
- The products may be installed on VCU owned PC's and on privately owned PC's.
- The use of the products under this license is restricted to VCU-related purposes ONLY. (Note that this applies regardless of how the installation media is obtained and who owns or uses the PC on which the products are installed.)
- The products may be used for VCU academic and administrative purposes.
- When you leave VCU you lose the right to use the products, and you must immediately uninstall them from all PCs on which you had installed them and on which you had authorized their installation.
- You may NOT resell this license and/or the products it covers.
- Operating System: Windows 7 or higher
- Memory: 32mb RAM minimum
- Hard Disk Space: 10 MB of free hard disk space for program files
- Monitor: 1024x768 or 1280x720 minimum
Download and Install Respondus
Important Reminders: It is recommend that you accept the default settings for the installation location on your computer. Also, please note that the Respondus software cannot be downloaded directly from the vendor’s website. The VCU-licensed download file is acquired by following the instructions below.
- Login to Blackboard with your eID if/when prompted.
- Return to this page and click on each button below to automatically download the installation file (Respondus4Campus.exe) and the setup instructions (Respondus License Information.docx).
These downloads usually appear at the bottom of your screen.
- Open the setup instructions by clicking on the downloaded file.
- Locate the installation key (in red) and other setup values. These will be needed to configure the software after installation.
- Click on the downloaded installation file.
- Click "run" and follow the prompts to install the software.
- When prompted, enter the installation key and other details from the setup document.
Retrieve and Apply Respondus Updates
When an update is available from the vendor, use one of the methods below to acquire the update.
- Check for Respondus updates in the application. Open Respondus, navigate to the "Help" menu and select "Check for Update". If an update is found, follow the steps provided to install it.
- Download the full Respondus application, following the directions above.
Annual Licensing Renewal
The VCU license is renewed annually. When you use the application after July 31st, you should check for updates, or accept them if prompted. If your license key does NOT automatically update, please download the Respondus licensing information document using the buttons above, and manually enter the updated license key.
Using the Respondus Publish Wizard
Publish Exams Directly to Your Blackboard Course(s)
1. From the Preview & Publish menu, select the Publish to [CMS] tab and then click the Publish Wizard button.
2. To publish the exam to a single course, select the Publish to single course option.
3. Click the Edit Settings button if you haven't previously provided server information for your online course. (Otherwise, click Next and skip to step 5.)
4. A screen will appear that looks similar to the one below:
- Enter Server Setting in the image below.
- Enter your own User Name and Password for your online course.
- Select the Remember my User Name and Password box if it isn't a shared computer.
- Click the OK button to close the window and click Next to continue to the next page of the wizard.
5. The wizard will display a screen that looks similar to the one below:
- Choose the course from the pull-down list.
- Enter a name for the exam or quiz.
- Select additional options for the exam or quiz.
- Click Next to continue.
6. The exam will now be published to the specified course. When the publishing process is completed, click the Finish button.
- Respondus Knowledge Base - provides answers to frequently asked questions.
- Respondus User Guides - provides detailed information on all aspects of the software
- Respondus Quick Start Guides - a good reference for new users
- Respondus Test Bank Network - contains thousands of test banks for the leading textbooks in higher education
- Instant, context-sensitive help is available from within the Respondus application by pressing the F1 key. From here you can also select Help from the menu bar and choose a topic.