SoftChalk Cloud & SoftChalk Create
SoftChalk will be decommissioned on May 22, 2022. Users will no loner have access to to this software. As an alternative, Technology Services has established an Articulate 360 Team Agreement to provide VCU departments/schools quick access to Team licenses and benefits.
Software Description: SoftChalk Cloud and Create is software that allows users to create engaging lessons for the web quickly and easily. Faculty can style their lesson for a professional look and/or add many activities and quizzes that promote active learning.
Platform: Windows and Macintosh
Cost: No charge
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not sign up for a 30-day trial. VCU has a site license which will be used instead. Be aware that if you are using a 30-day trial, any content you have created could potentially be lost when the trial ends. Disregard any mention of “Private SoftChalk Cloud” on the vendor’s website and in their guides--this is not the license VCU has.
Conditions of License
Use of the SoftChalk products included in this license is subject to all of the following conditions:
All VCU faculty and staff are licensed to use the product at no cost.
The product may be installed on VCU-owned computers and on privately-owned computers.
SoftChalk installation media may be used to install SoftChalk on multiple PCs for licensed VCU users
The use of the products under this license is restricted to VCU-related purposes ONLY. (Note that this applies regardless of how the installation media is obtained and who owns or uses the computer on which the products are installed.)
The products may be used for VCU academic and administrative purposes.
When you separate from VCU, you must immediately uninstall the product from all computers on which you had installed them and those on which you had authorized their installation.
You may NOT resell this license and/or the product it covers.
Create a SoftChalk Cloud Account
Click here to access VCU’s activation key.
Enter the VCU activation key in the SoftChalk Cloud form and then fill out the rest of the form as necessary.
For Organization Website URL, just put VCU’s main URL, “http://vcu.edu”
After checking both boxes to agree to the terms, click “Join”
Download and Install SoftChalk Create
Select one of the links below (Windows or Mac). The installation file will automatically download to your computer.
Download SoftChalk Cloud Create on Windows Download SoftChalk Cloud Create on a Macintosh
Click on the downloaded file and select “Run”
Accept user agreement
Select the default, “everyone who uses the computer”
Select a folder install location or accept the default
Click “Finish” when prompted
- Double-click the blue SoftChalk Create icon on your desktop
- Sign in once with your SoftChalk Cloud account and start using SoftChalk Create on your desktop/laptop
To Migrate Content from SoftChalk 7 to Cloud Add the SoftChalk Cloud Publisher
This allows existing content to be published from SoftChalk 7 to the Cloud. Once your content is in the Cloud, you can remove the SoftChalk 7 desktop application and begin using the new version--SoftChalk Create.
1. Launch the SoftChalk 7 application from your computer by clicking on the SoftChalk 7 icon.
2. On the top menu bar, click File.
3. Click Publish Lesson.
4. Select the Accounts tab.
5. Click New.
Tip: If the New button option is not available (grayed out), go back to the Publish tab and click Disconnect.
6. From the "Account Type Selection" list, select SoftChalk Cloud. Click OK.
7. Enter your username and password.
Note: This is not your VCU eID and Password; this is the username and password you created when joining the SoftChalk Cloud website.
8. Click OK.
9. Click Close.
Publish/Upload Existing SoftChalk 7 Content to SoftChalk Cloud
1. Open SoftChalk Publish 7 (the older version of SoftChalk.) Click File from the tool bar and select Open.
2. Locate and click on the file you are trying to open. Select the Index option.
3. Go back to File and select Publish Lesson.
4. Click the Publish tab and make sure your "<user account> (Cloud)" appears in the Account dropdown menu.
5. Click Connect. If it automatically connects and the "<user account> (Cloud)" is not selected, click Disconnect, select the correct option and then click Connect.
6. Enter the Item Name.
7. In the right-hand panel, select the folder you would like to publish to within Cloud. Note: If you have not logged into the Cloud and created folders, then you will only see the default folder "My Lessons & Courses".
8. Click Publish.
9. Once finished, you will get a "Your lesson has been published" pop up. Click OK. You should now see the lesson listed in the right-hand panel as well.
10. Click Close.
Once you have created a SoftChalk Cloud account and migrated all of your existing SoftChalk 7 content to SoftChalk Cloud, you should remove the old SoftChalk 7 application from your computer.
To Create New Content
Launch the SoftChalk Create application on your computer or Login to SoftChalk Cloud
Click Create Content (1)
Follow the instructions found in the SoftChalk Create Guide.
To Edit Existing Content
Launch the SoftChalk Create application from your computer.
Select File and click Open From SoftChalk Cloud.
Select the packaged content that has been previously published to the Cloud and click Open.
Modify the content as desired.
Select File and click Save To SoftChalk Cloud.
Leave the Item Name as is to replace the file or change it to create a new file with the edits. Click Save.
To Manage Content
From My Content, and select Lessons (2).
This is the default folder for storing your content.
Use the Actions menu (3) on the right-hand side to create additional folders, etc. Once you have published lessons to the cloud, they will appear here.
When selecting Create Content (1) users will launch the desktop app.
When selecting the Edit icon (4), users will open the content item within Cloud.
To edit, click the "Open in Create" link in the top right-hand corner. Once opened in Create, right click the question and select the "Modify QuizPopper" option or just click Insert to add a new question.
When clicking on the Lesson name (5), users will be opening the lesson in the Cloud in order to preview and format the activities.
Before posting a SoftChalk LTI link to your eLearning course, decide if you want to collect scores from your students or if you want your lessons to be “practice” lessons (no scores).
- Be sure to assign points to each QuizPopper and Activity in SoftChalk.
a. In the main editing window of your SoftChalk lesson, right-click on the QuizPopper or Activity and choose “Modify QuizPopper” or ”Modify Activity”.
b. Go to the Options tab and use the Points dropdown menu to assign points.
Adding Graded Content into your Canvas Coures - (Video)
1. Go into the Canvas course and click Assignments.
2. Within an Assignment Group, click the plus icon  and select External Tools  from the "Type" drop down box.
3. Enter the Name/Title of the assignment, Due Date, and Points.
4. Click More Options.
5. Scroll Down to Submission Type and click Find.
6. Choose the "SoftChalk Link Selector" tool.
If this is your first time using this tool, you will be prompted to login to your SoftChalk account. Once logged in, you will be shown all of your lessons that appear within the Lessons storage area.
7. Select the desired lession  and click the Select for LTI Link button .
8. Check the "Load in New Tab" box if desired and click the Select button.
9. Click Save or Save & Publish.
You be sent to the SoftChalk ScoreCenter where you can view the lesson  the way the students see it and change some of the assignment settings .
Embed Lesson into Canvas, Add as a Hyperlink or an LTI Link - (Video)
1. Go into the Canvas course and click Pages.
2. Click the Add Page button.
3. Enter a title for this page and on the Rich Content Editor, click the Apps icon and, if this is your first time using the tookl, select View All. If this is not your first time using the tool, choose the SoftChalk Selectr Link. If this is your first time, you will then be promoted to login to your SoftChak account. Otherwise, you will see a list of lessons you have already created.
4. Select a lesson, choose the option to either add as a Hyperlink, LTI Link or Embed  and click Select . You also have the option to Preview.
5. Click Save or Save & Publish.
Learning Systems in Academic Technologies maintains the integration of SoftChalk with VCU’s eLearning environment (Canvas), while the vendor provides end-user support and troubleshooting.
For assistance with SoftChalk Cloud: login issues, questions and other requests related to the Cloud interface - please contact SoftChalk support directly
For assistance with SoftChalk Create: installation issues, questions and other requests related to the desktop application - please contact SoftChalk support directly
For assistance with downloading SoftChalk Create, or posting SoftChalk content to Canvas, issues downloading Create, the application license key, or posting/viewing your SoftChalk content in VCU’s eLearning environment, please submit a help request ticket for Learning Systems.
Additional Details and Step-by-Step Instructions