Student Response System (SRS)
A Student Response System (SRS) is an in-class assessment tool that allows the professor to both receive and provide instant feedback on the effectiveness of their teaching or the extent to which students are learning. This tool also helps instructors activate the classroom and engage the students. These systems were previously referred to as "clickers" because most Student Response Systems required students to purchase a physical device (clicker) to use for responding to polls and questions in the classroom. Top Hat allows students to use their own mobile device for responses and only requires them to purchase a subscription for the service.
Faculty - Getting Started with Top Hat
- Instructors who need a student account (for themselves), please email email@example.com for assistance.
- Quick Start Guides (or jump straight to a popular topic below)
Faculty - Managing Access to Your Top Hat Course
Faculty - Using Top Hat with Blackboard
VCU Blackboard has been configured for use with Top Hat. To allow Top Hat to sync with Blackboard, instructors need to set up an LTI web link in each Blackboard course that will use Top Hat.
- Please follow these instructions for adding a Top Hat (LTI) web link to a Blackboard course.
- If you see a warning as depicted below, please be sure to set up a Top Hat web link in your Blackboard course, as described above.
- Additional information about using Top Hat with Blackboard can be found in Top Hat's Knowledge Base.
Student Accounts and Subscriptions
- Create an account with Top Hat - IMPORTANT! If you already have a Top Hat account from another school, you need to merge your existing account with a new VCU account to avoid additional subscription fees.
- Purchase a Top Hat subscription. Top Hat Pricing for VCU Students:
- Semester: $20
- Annual: $30
- Lifetime: $60
- Renew a Top Hat subscription. Purchase a new subscription using your existing Top Hat account.
- Extend a subscription from a previous semester.
- Activate an expired subscription.
Get Started with Top Hat
- Review the Student Quick Start Guide
- Request a Top Hat Consultation - On Top Hat's VCU page, scroll down to the contact information for our representative. Email or call him to request a consultation. Individual or group consultations will be provided face-to-face or online. (Please note that face-to-face, on-site consultations will need to be scheduled in advance to accomodate our representative's long distance travel to/from VCU.)
- Contact Top Hat Support (phone, ticket, chat)
- Request assistance through the VCU IT Support Center. Your request will be assessed and routed to the appropriate team at VCU or Top Hat.
- For questions or issues with your Top Hat account, subscription or payments - contact Top Hat.
- For all other questions contact the VCU IT Support Center. Your request will be assessed and routed to the appropriate team at VCU or Top Hat.