Top Hat is a student engagement tool that allows instructors to conduct polls, track attendance, and create digital assessments that integrates with VCU’s Canvas learning management system. Unlike previous student response systems, sometimes known as “clickers”, Top Hat allows students to utilize their mobile device, tablet, laptop, and even SMS to respond to polls, although some features such as proctored exams require a laptop computer running the Google Chrome web browser.
Faculty - Getting Started with Top Hat
- Instructors who need a student account (for themselves), please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Quick Start Guides (or jump straight to a popular topic below)
Faculty - Managing Access to Your Top Hat Course
LMS Sync / Integration
VCU now uses the Canvas learning management system and Top Hat has been added as an LTI integration. To allow Top Hat to sync with Canvas, instructors need to add the tool to each Canvas course they use with Top Hat. Follow these instructions to use Top Hat with your Canvas course to sync grades: https://support.tophat.com/s/article/Professor-LTI-Setup-Canvas
Accounts / Subscriptions
Top Hat is now free for ALL VCU students (see eligibility requirements)! If you have a recently purchased subscription for Summer 2021 courses, Top Hat will refund your purchase.
Students must be currently enrolled in at least one credit-bearing course with an affiliation of “student” to qualify for a free subscription. Students of summer programs, seminars, and other short-term offerings may not be eligible for a Top Hat subscription. To verify your eligibility, please contact us at email@example.com.
Get Started with Top Hat
- Request a Top Hat Consultation - On Top Hat's VCU page, scroll down to the contact information for our representative. Email or call our representative to request a consultation. Individual or group consultations will be provided face-to-face or online. (Please note that face-to-face, on-site consultations will need to be scheduled in advance to accomodate our representative's long distance travel to/from VCU.)
- Contact Top Hat Support (phone, ticket, chat)
- Request assistance through the VCU IT Support Center. Your request will be assessed and routed to the appropriate team at VCU or Top Hat.
- For questions or issues with your VCU Top Hat account, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all other questions contact the VCU IT Support Center. Your request will be assessed and routed to the appropriate team at VCU or Top Hat.