Top Hat is a student engagement tool that allows instructors to conduct polls, track attendance, and create digital assessments that integrates with VCU’s Canvas learning management system. Unlike previous student response systems, sometimes known as “clickers”, Top Hat allows students to utilize their mobile device, tablet, laptop, and even SMS to respond to polls, although some features such as proctored exams require a laptop computer running the Google Chrome web browser.
Faculty - Getting Started with Top Hat
- Quick Start Guides (or jump straight to a popular topic below)
- VCU Training site - search for keyword "Top Hat"
Faculty - Managing Access to Your Top Hat Course
LMS Sync / Integration
VCU now uses the Canvas learning management system and Top Hat has been added as an LTI integration. To allow Top Hat to sync with Canvas, instructors need to add the tool to each Canvas course they use with Top Hat. Follow these instructions to use Top Hat with your Canvas course to sync grades: https://support.tophat.com/s/article/Professor-LTI-Setup-Canvas
Students - Getting Started with Top Hat
Students - Accounts / Subscriptions
Top Hat is now free for ALL VCU students (see eligibility requirements)!
VCU's software license agreement with Top Hat covers the standard and pro features listed here: https://tophat.com/pricing/. The agreement DOES NOT cover add-ons and additional content such as remote proctoring, textbooks, homework packs, and other non-core standard/pro features. If you are presented with a balance due for your course(s), please review with your instructor(s) to verify if they are requiring the purchase of a textbook, remote proctoring, or other add-ons and/or content first before reaching out to us.
Students - Eligibility requirements
Students must be currently enrolled in at least one credit-bearing course with an affiliation of “student” to qualify for a free subscription. Students of summer programs, seminars, and other short-term offerings may not be eligible for a Top Hat subscription. To verify your eligibility, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For initial training and onboarding, please review the links in the Faculty Quick Start Tab to the left.
- For support with Top Hat software, training, and consultations, please contact Top Hat Support directly.
- You can also email Top Hat support directly at email@example.com
- Request assistance through the VCU IT Support Center. Your request will be assessed and routed to the appropriate team at VCU or Top Hat.
- For initial account creation and to join your courses, please review the links in the Student Quick Start tab to the left.
- If you are enrolled in a course that is requesting payment, please consult with your instructor(s) first before reaching out to us. They may be requiring the use of a textbook, homework pack, add-on(s), or other course materials not included in our agreement with Top Hat.
- To verify your eligibility, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all other questions contact the VCU IT Support Center. Your request will be assessed and routed to the appropriate team at VCU or Top Hat.