Frequently Asked Questions
LANDESK Management Suite offers an array of award-winning IT asset management, license monitoring, and data automation solutions. Management Suite helps you automate and monitor system performance, provide remote user support, and provision your desktop, server, and mobile device hardware and software without ever leaving your office.
What exactly is Management Suite, and what can it do for me?
Management Suite is a Systems Lifecycle Management suite that combines powerful tools that give you the control and flexibility you need to manage all of your IT assets, including:
- Robust inventory management, including scalable discovery, detailed asset information, an easy-to-read reporting dashboard, comprehensive inventory database and more
- Remote system resolution anytime, anywhere -- solve problems, generate reports, and create audit trails with the click of a mouse
- Simultaneous package distribution to multiple users with minimal bandwidth and without dedicated hardware or router reconfigurations
- Monitor software licenses for all products from a license or group perspective, manage multiple product versions, and reduce license costs
- Power management monitors system usage and energy savings at the client level
- Enterprise efficiency and scalability to manage all your desktops, servers, and mobile devices in one place
What is the LANDESK@VCU Website?
The LANDESK@VCU website is the fastest way to review information about your managed systems and access the Remote Control tools. System news and important announcements are always available on the site. Recent security vulnerabilities are listed on the secure homepage and specialized reports are available including the 'Lost and Found', duplicate systems lists, Sophos antivirus status, and LDMS agent health.
Do I have to install software on the computers I want to manage?
Management Suite makes system management possible via a software agent that is installed locally on the managed systems (clients). An agent is a collection of services and programs and the behavioral settings that dictate how the agent operates and is allowed to interact with the managed system.
Each agent is configured to operate a specific way -- inventory and vulnerability scanning, security-patch deployment, software distribution, remote control privileges, and spyware protection are all enabled and executed according to each agent's settings. The Management Suite agent is self-monitoring and self-healing, and can be used to manage systems located both on-campus (attached to the VCU network) and off campus.
After the agent is installed its behavior can be made invisible to the users, unless you elect to have notifications or other dialog windows displayed to users, such as a prompt to reboot the computer after patches have been installed.
What Operating Systems is Management Suite compatible with?
Management Suite is compatible with most modern workstation and server operating systems. However, some OSs only allow Management Suite to provide basic inventory information. If you don't see your operating system on this list, please let us know and we will find out if Management Suite will work on your system. Management Suite will work with all NT-based networks including Active Directory and Novell, but full functionality is guaranteed in an Active Directory based environment.
Desktop Operating Systems:
- Windows 10 (all editions)
- Windows 8.1 (all editions)
- Windows 8 (all editions)
- Windows 7 (all editions)
- Windows XP (all editions, Service Pack 3)
- Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)
- Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite)
- Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)
Server Operating Systems:
- Windows Server 2012 x64 (all)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (all editions)
- Windows Server 2008 (all editions, SP2 or higher)
- Windows Server 2003 (all editions, R2/SP2 or higher)
- CentOS 5, 6, and 7
- HP-UX 11.11v1/11.23/11.31 (PA RISC x64) & 11.23v2/11.31 (Itanium x64)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Advanced Platform 5
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 x64
- Solaris 10 (SPARC64/x86_64) with Update 8 or later
- Solaris 11 (Sparcx64/x86_64)
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 x32/x64
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 x64
Can I use LANDESK to image my PCs?
Management Suite can be used to image PCs and servers, as well as deploy "bare metal" system builds using the Hardware Independent Imaging (essentially, automating the process of installing the OS and applications, as if you were sitting in front of the system loading installation media manually).
What if we're using DeepFreeze, Microsoft Steady State, or another product that protects the computer from user changes?
In general, Management Suite works very well on systems that are using security controls to prevent users from making changes to the computer. Several groups at VCU are already using Management Suite on systems with DeepFreeze and Microsoft Steady State. However, there are some special configuration requirements for the agent(s) to work properly, so it's important to mention to the LANDesk administrators that you will be using one of these tools.
Are there networking requirements for LANDESK?
Management Suite agents perform a wide variety of tasks to assist in managing systems, and in general are very resilient to system configuration problems. However, in order for the agent to install and function correctly several basic networking prerequisites must be met. Because VCU Network Services has segregated the network by subnet and by Firewall Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) layers for security reasons, you should test LANDESK on each subnet your computers connect to. It is very important that each subnet be tested and configured correctly. Also, additional testing and troubleshooting may be necessary to address other personal or local network configurations, such as those utilized by a user's ISP (if they are or routinely take their computer off-campus).
For security reasons, please contact the LANDESK System Administrators for the specific network requirements and testing recommendations.
How do I monitor and obtain reports on my inventory?
Using the LANDESK Management Console you can create your own custom queries and reports on any of the data in the LANDESK inventory and easily export them to PDF and other popular document formats. The LANDESK administrators can also provide assistance creating custom queries and reports that can be run directly from the LANDESK@VCU website.