Creating a Request
A service request is a formal request from a user for something to be provided - for example, a request for information or advice; to reset a password; or to install a workstation for a new user. All requests in Service Desk are assigned a ticket number, which begins with the number 4.
Upon login to Service Desk as an analyst, you can submit a request by navigating through the topics on the left-hand Navigation Bar on the Self Service page:
When your specified request type is selected, the following screen will appear. The fields listed in light yellow are required fields and must be completed in order to save the request. Depending on the type of request selected the required fields will vary:
Breakdown of Request Form:
- Requested by - This section is where you submit the “requested by” user information (affected end user/requester name):
- Requested By - You can choose the user from the drop-down field by typing in their name, eID, or email. Select the specified user from the results that generate in the drop down field. The suggested search term for best accuracy is by searching for the eID of the affected end user. NOTE: if you are submitting this ticket on your own behalf (for yourself) leave this field blank:
- Once you select the user, it will automatically fill in the rest of the fields with their information pulled from Banner.
Special Instructions (if applicable) - This field displays any special instructions that may be required when a specific category is selected for a request. This field will only display if the category has special instructions affiliated with it, and will always display at the top of the page (above the user information). Example (from above category selection of “Device or Hardware - Mobile Device”):
- Service Recipient - this section is used for requests that are being submitted on behalf of a separate user:
- If someone is submitting this request on behalf of someone else, they would check the box in this field and the following form would populate to input this information:
NOTE: some request forms populate this field automatically (ex: Banner account request).
- Request details - This section is where you input the specific request information and assign to the correct category (NOTE: by default, the category will be selected for you based upon what request type you are making):
- Request Description - type in the details of the request here.
- Category - select the category from the drop down list to assign a specific category to the request (NOTE: utilize the tic marks next to the “Category” items listed in order to narrow down your category type).
- Example, by clicking the tic mark next to Mobile Device expands the category tree to allow for further specification:
Asset type and item - certain categories require an asset type and item to be selected. This field will only be utilized when these categories are selected (will display instructions to use).
Example: When you select the Category “Device or Hardware Problem - Mobile Device”, the following instructions appear in the Special Instructions field listed below:
This lets you know that it is necessary to further categorize the request by selecting the proper category from the asset type and asset items field:
- The recipient of this Service can be contacted at... - this section allows you to enter any alternate information such as name, address, email, or contact phone for the requestor:
- Additional information - This field allows additional information to be entered for the service request
- Due date - this field allows you to set a specific due date for the request to be completed by.
- Request Source - this field allows you to assign the source of the request:
- The requestor is - this field allows you to set the affiliation of the requestor on the request:
- The remaining fields in this section (Building, Floor/Wing, Room Number, Asset Tag Number, Serial #/Service Tag, Index/Account Code, Lawson/MAS Code) allow you to further specify the request:
- Service Desk Information - This field allows you to view the service request information (it will display the time it was updated, who it was updated by, etc.). On this screen, you can only update the fields for “severity” and “priority”:
- Assignment Information - this field is where the request will be assigned when saved. The suggested group automatically populates based upon what category was selected. If you wish to change the suggested group (to assign to a different group) simply click the field and search for a separate group to assign to:
- Note: you cannot assign to a specific analyst on this screen; to do so, you need to save the request and it will re-open in a separate screen where it is possible to “change assignment” to a request.
- Saving Your Request - When all fields are filled out with the correct information, you have three options to save or cancel your request. Once either "Save" or "Save and close" is selected, an email notification will be sent to the customer and the assigned group notifying them that the request has been created:
- Save and close - saves your request, and closes out the request entirely, bringing you back to the home screen.
- Save - saves your request, and opens up the request details so that you can update the request further (recommended if you are not done with the request).
- Cancel - cancels the request from creation, bringing you back to the home screen.
Questions or Comments?
Please submit all questions, comments, or requests regarding the Service Desk system by selecting one of the quick links on the Service Desk Support dashboard. If you do not currently have access to Service Desk, please contact the VCU IT Support Center at (804) 828-2227 for assistance.