Self Service Home Page
When a support analyst logs into Service Desk with their eID and password, it directs them to the Self Service Home page:
Self Service is where support analysts navigate to:
Create a service request or incident for themselves.
Create a service request or incident on behalf of other users.
Check on their open incidents and open service requests.
Check on their resolved incidents and service requests.
- Start a chat session with a VCU IT Support Center analyst.
1. Toolbar - The black banner across the top of the page.
The toolbar provides access to a number of features:
Search Field - This is to search the internal Service Desk Knowledge Base.
Log off - To log off of Service Desk
Switch to Web Desk - Toggles you to the Web Desk view.
Help - LANDESK’s reference pages for Service Desk functions.
2. Current Notices - This is where announcements display such as system alerts, maintenance schedules, new features, etc.
3. Service Desk Quick Links - This area has shortcuts to the most common incidents and service requests submitted by end users (note: schools and departments can customize these quick links for their end users located in their major business units).
4. My Open Incidents - These are open incidents that you have submitted as the customer (affected end user). They are sorted by ticket number in descending order (newest on top). You will navigate to Web Desk view to see tickets assigned to your group as a technician.
5. My Open Service Requests - These are open requests that you have submitted as the customer (affected end user). They are sorted by ticket number in descending order (newest on top).
6. My Resolved Tickets - These are all of your incidents and service request tickets that you have submitted as a customer (affected end user) that have been resolved or closed. They are sorted by ticket number in descending order (newest on top).
Note: Each displayed area has a limited amount of space, thus older tickets will be on subsequent pages for those areas. (i.e. 1 of 2, 1 of 4, etc.):
7. IT Support Center Online - This is where you can initiate a tech chat with a VCU IT Support Center technician. Tech chat is only available during posted hours (available here).
8. Terminology - This area provides definitions for incident and request:
9. Navigation Bar - This is located on the left side of the page. It provides quick links to areas where you can navigate to submit incidents and requests. The categorizations displayed are dependent on your affiliation and department. When you click on one of the categories, it will open a page that has items related to that area.
Some category areas include an extended list which displays when you hover your mouse over the name. “Non-TS Departments” displays this selection menu:
Navigation Bar Example:
When you select “Application/System” from the category menu, it opens up a page that has applications and system items listed:
When you select a specific item from the list, a new page will open up with a selection of incident or service requests for that category.
Note: incidents items are listed first, then service request items secondary.
Clicking on “Active Directory” from this menu will generate this page:
By selecting one of these service incidents or request topics, a form will generate which you can fill out to submit this type of incident or request.
Questions or Comments?
Please submit all questions, comments, or requests regarding the Service Desk system by selecting one of the quick links on the Service Desk Support dashboard. If you do not currently have access to Service Desk, please contact the VCU IT Support Center at (804) 828-2227 for assistance.