Submitting a Request
A service request is a formal request from a user for something to be provided - for example, a request for information or advice; to reset a password; or to install a workstation for a new user. All requests in Service Desk are assigned a ticket number, which begins with the number 4. Upon login to Service Desk, you can submit a request ticket by selecting one of the quick links or by navigating through the Navigation Bar on the left hand side of the page.
When you've selected your request category, the following screen will generate. The fields listed in light yellow are required fields and must be completed in order to save the request. Depending on the category selected, the required fields will vary:
I’m submitting this Request for another user - When an end user is attempting to submit a request on behalf of another user (such as a Banner account request for an employee), they are able to indicate the other user’s contact information on the request form. To add this information, they’d check the below box:
This would then populate the following area for them to indicate the user information for whom they are requesting on behalf of:
NOTE: some request forms populate this field automatically (ex: Banner account request).
Request Details - This section is where you input the specific request information and assign to the correct category (NOTE: by default, the category will be selected for you based upon what request type you are making):
- Request Description - type in the details of the request here.
- Category - By default, the category will be pre-filled depending on what item you selected from the navigation bar on Self Service view. If you wish to change the category, click on the category drop down list to assign a specific category to the request (NOTE: utilize the tic marks next to the “Category” items listed in order to narrow down your category type).
- Example, by clicking the tic mark next to Mobile Device expands the category tree to allow for further specification:
- Asset type and item - certain categories require an asset type and item to be selected. This field will only be utilized when these categories are selected (will display instructions to use).
- Example: When you select the Category “Device or Hardware Problem - Mobile Device”, the following instructions appear in the Special Instructions field listed below:
- This lets you know that it is necessary to further categorize the request by selecting the proper category from the asset type and asset items field:
Special Instructions (if applicable) - This section displays any special instructions that may be required when a specific category is selected for a request. Example (from above category selection of “Device or Hardware - Mobile Device”). This field will only populate when the category selected requires special instructions:
Additional Customer Information - This field allows additional information to be entered for the service request:
- I am - this field allows you to set your affiliation.
- Alternate Name - allows you to input an alternate name on request.
- Alternate Phone - this field allows you to input your best contact number to be reached at.
- Alternate Email - this field allows you to enter your best contact email address.
- Due Date - this field allows you to set a specific due date for the request to be completed by.
- Request Source - this field allows you to assign the source of the request.
- The remaining fields in this section (Asset Tag Number, Serial #/Service Tag) allow you to further specify the request:
Other Request Information (if applicable) - This section is where you input additional information to further specialize this request. You can input your location on campus, provide and pre-authorize a budget or Lawson Code, etc. NOTE: some forms will require these fields, others will not:
Saving Your Request - When all fields are filled out with the correct information, you have three options to save or cancel your request.
- Save and close - saves your request, and closes out the request entirely, bringing you back to the home screen.
- Save - saves your request, and opens up the request details so that you can update the request further (if the request requires supplemental information you will choose this option).
- Cancel - cancels the request from creation, bringing you back to the home screen.
Questions or Comments?
For all questions, comments, or requests regarding the Service Desk system, please contact the VCU IT Support Center at (804) 828-2227 for assistance.