I'm trying to install a program and I need to disable my antivirus program. How do I do that?
On access scanning provides the Sophos anti-virus protection. Once this is disabled all Sophos protection is disabled. There are times Sophos anti-virus needs to be disabled to install software. Below is the procedure on how to disable Sophos:
- Open Sophos by right clicking the Sophos shield found in the lower left of your desktop.
- Click "Open Sophos Endpoint Security and Control"
- On the Sophos main screen click "Configure anti-virus and HIPS"
- On the Configure screen click "On-access scanning"
- On the "On-Access scan settings for this computer" window select the "Scanning" tab and click the box to remove the check for "Enable on-access scanning for this computer". (By removing this check you are disabling Sophos protection.)
- Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the Window.
- Click the "Yes" button on the warning message that states; "You have chosen to disable on-access scanning. If you do so, there is no on-access protection against threats. Do you want to continue?"
- Close the Sophos application screens and install your software.
- Once your software as been installed open Sophos and enable on-access protection by repeating these steps and check the box in step 5 above.
This article was updated: 07/9/2013