Why does iTunes take longer to close and show saving library on exit?
Sophos anti-virus may be the cause. First make sure iTunes is closed. Then do the following to allow Sophos to work with iTunes better.
Adding an exclusion for the iTunes files.
- Open Sophos
- Click "Configure anti-virus and HIPS"
- Click "on-access scanning"
- Click "exclusions" tab
- Click "add"
- Select "File" from the drop down list for item type
- Click "Browse"
- Click the "my documents" icon on the left of the window
- Double click the "my music" folder, then double click "iTunes" folder.
- Select the iTunes file "iTunes Music Library.xml".
- Click "open" (This will take you back to the Exclude item window)
- Click "ok" (You should now see the path to your added file in the Excluded item list.)
- (Repeat steps 5 through 12 for the iTunes file "iTunes Library.itl". )
- Once both files are added click "ok" to close the On-access scan settings for this computer window.
- Close Sophos
- Try opening and closing iTunes to see if this corrected the problem.
- If the problem was not resolved it could relate to the size of the Library and other software on your computer.
This article was updated: 07/9/2013