Recording Zoom Meetings
All VCU Zoom users have the ability to record their meetings on the PC or laptop they use to host the event. In addition, Cloud Recording is enabled for users on the VCU Zoom “Master” account.
PLEASE NOTE: Users on the “HIPAA” sub-account are locked out of the Cloud Recording feature to ensure compliance with HIPAA regulations. Users are placed on the HIPAA sub-account if they fall under a business unit that is likely to deal with HIPAA-related data, typically health-related departments and schools. Working with the Information Security Office, those units have been determined to include the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Dentistry, the College of Health Professions, the Massey Cancer Center, the VP for Health Sciences, VP for Research, the Departments of Psychology and the Partnership for People with Disabilities. These users still have the option of recording to their computers and uploading the files to VCU Kaltura or other servers (see below) but cannot write files to the Zoom server.
How to Use Cloud Recording
If Cloud Recording is enabled for your Zoom account, your recordings will be automatically updated to your Kaltura account for storage and sharing.
To begin, click on the “Record” button while in a meeting and select the “Record to the Cloud" option.
The recording will be saved to VCU Kaltura under "My Media." There, you'll see your videos listed from oldest to newest. Your newly created Zoom video should be at the top of the list. There may be a delay while the video is processed, so please be patient.
1. Go to the VCU Kaltura page (go.vcu.edu/video)
2. Click on the desired video to access its settings.
3. Using the "Action" pulldown menu, choose "Publish."
4. When your video loads to Kaltura, the Pubilishing level defaults to "Private," which means only you as the owner can access the video. Change this to "Unlisted" to allow viewing by persons you share the link with. Or change it to "Published" if you want the video to show up in keyword searches. (If you choose this option, you'll need to choose a couple of keywords to assist users when they search).
When you've made your choice, press "save."
5. Once this is done, go to the "Sharing" tab to get a URL you can share with your audience via e-mail, webpage or other methods. Or choose "embed" to get the code you need to insert your video directly into an HTML page.
For those users on the HIPAA sub-account who will not have access to Cloud Recording, it's still possible to host and share your videos from Kaltura.
- Choose the "Record" option while in a Zoom meeting.
- When you end the Zoom meeting, the recording will be written to your hard drive. When complete, a pop-up window will show you where to find the file (it's saved as an MP4 video file).
- Visit go.vcu.edu/video to access your Kaltura account.
- Choose "Add New" from the top menu, select "Media Upload" and point to the file you want to upload.
- Follow the steps above for "How to Share a Video"