This is the preliminary (or launch) version of the 2020-21 VCU Bulletin. This edition includes all programs and courses approved by the publication deadline; however we may receive notification of additional program approvals after the launch. The final edition and full PDF version will include these updates and will be available in August prior to the beginning of the fall semester.
The School of Dentistry was created in 1893 when the University College of Medicine opened with a dental department as one of its original divisions. The Medical College of Virginia inaugurated a dental education program in 1897, and in 1913 the two schools were merged to form the MCV School of Dentistry.
In 1968, by an act of the Virginia General Assembly, MCV was merged with Richmond Professional Institute to form Virginia Commonwealth University. The School of Dentistry is located on VCU’s MCV Campus.
The facilities of the School of Dentistry are housed in the Wood Memorial, Lyons and Perkinson buildings and contain clinical facilities, research facilities, classrooms, student laboratories, departmental offices and a computer-learning laboratory.
The school provides opportunities for selected, qualified individuals to study dentistry under the most favorable conditions and in accordance with the standards established by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
The degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) is awarded to graduates of the school’s professional program and the Bachelor of Science degree to graduates of the Dental Hygiene Program within the Department of Oral Health Promotion and Community Outreach.
Graduates of the advanced dental education programs in endodontics, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry and periodontics are awarded the Master of Science in Dentistry degree.