Posted on November 2, 2020
Creating a positive environment for learning is essential to the VCU community. The use of alcohol and other drugs has the potential to impact academic success and the safety of our community. At VCU, we proactively address these issues in both our wellness programs and our policy enforcement.
The VCU Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy provides information about protecting your health, sustaining safety and promoting the general well-being of the VCU community. All VCU faculty and staff are asked to take a moment to read the VCU Alcohol and Other Drug Policy in the online VCU Policy Library.
The policy outlines the following:
- VCU standards of conduct surrounding alcohol and other drugs
- University and community resources
- The health effects of alcohol and other drugs
- Federal and state laws pertaining to alcohol and other drugs
Please be aware that VCU provides many resources to encourage faculty, staff, and students to not misuse and/or abuse alcohol and other drugs. Such resources include the following:
- VCU Health Promotion and Well-being Center (The Well) provides a variety of alcohol and other drug prevention education and online resources. This includes a free 20 minute online self-assessment that provides immediate personalized feedback and information on how it relates to personal goals and choices.
- VCU University Counseling Services curates online resources to facilitate self-help and offers substance abuse counseling for eligible students.
- VCU’s Rams in Recovery is an active community that supports students and staff in recovery and celebrates all that life in college can be without alcohol and other drugs. The program supports students so that they don’t have to choose between their recovery and their education. Email email@example.com for more information.
- VCU employees enrolled in the state health benefits plan also have access to mental health and substance abuse counseling through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Employee Assistance Program.
If you have employees who do not have access to email, please print the policy and ask them to read it. This policy applies to ALL VCU employees.