- The university’s identifying marks may not be altered in any fashion, by anyone, for any reason.
- The marks should not be used in association with a private business or used in a manner that might associate or imply endorsement by the university with an outside business or product. Partnerships can be approved by University Relations.
- Schools, centers, departments, offices, etc., should adhere to the brand standards set forth within this website and should not create their own logos or other graphic identifiers outside of the prescribed VCU brand construction. However, there may be certain valid business reasons for a unit to desire its own visual identity outside of the normal VCU brand mark design. In those cases, please contact University Relations to begin a discussion regarding a possible exception.
- The marks may not be used in any manner that suggests or implies support or endorsement of any movement, candidate for public office, organization, activity or program not officially endorsed by Virginia Commonwealth University.
- VCU will not approve the use of its name or identifying marks to promote tobacco, illegal or controlled substances, sexually oriented products, alcohol, religious products or games of chance.
- VCU will not approve the use of its name or identifying marks with text or graphics that are sexually suggestive, denigrating, profane or racist. Nor can the university marks be used with items that infringe on the markets of other trademark owners.
- Email signatures should not include slogans, quotes, memes, animations, or religious or philosophical statements as they may be misinterpreted as the university’s viewpoint.
- The university reserves the right to prohibit other uses that it deems inappropriate or inconsistent with the image and mission of this institution.
- Any university department may use university identifiers without being licensed. However, any company that produces merchandise with VCU identifiers must be licensed by IMG College Licensing. Students may not use VCU official brand marks, trademarks, templates and other branding assets without prior written permission from University Relations.
View graphic version
©2019 VCU. All rights reserved.