We admit students into our program once a year in the fall. The Fall 2021 application is now open.
Fall 2021 application deadlines
February 1, 2021 (early deadline):
- Decision received mid- to late-March 2021
April 1, 2021 (regular deadline):
- Decision received mid- to late-May 2021
Applications received after April 1 will be reviewed on a space-available basis until July 1. Decisions received on a rolling basis.
The primary brandcenter logo in black text with a yellow triangle. [View Image]
The Brandcenter application, much like our program, is rigorous. We hope that if you do embark on our application, you will learn a lot—not only about yourself, but also where you see your future.
How do I apply?
Instructions for completing the components required for applying to the Brandcenter at VCU:
- VCU Graduate School Application
- Create an account with VCU Graduate School and submit your application
- Search for "Brandcenter" and add the concentration you intend to apply for (you may only apply into one concentration)
- List email addresses for two (2) professional or academic references and one (1) personal reference (someone who's worked with you in a group). They'll be sent an email to submit their reference.
- Upload your resume
- Submit transcripts for all schools attended *
- Submit your “story so far” in the personal statement section (responding to specific questions)
- Pay $70 application fee
* Please note: Any applicants who have studied outside of the U.S. must provide an official course-by-course external credential evaluation in addition to their transcripts as a required part of the admission process. Please visit International Admissions and click on "foreign transcripts" for more information and a list of evaluators. Contact email@example.com with questions.
- Brandcenter Supplemental Application
- Once you submit your VCU Graduate School application, you’ll receive a link to the supplemental application. Please allow 3-5 business days to receive this link.
- You will respond to application prompts for your chosen concentration area. Request information or begin the application to see this year's application prompts.
Learn more about each of our five areas of concentration (Art Direction, Copywriting, Creative Brand Management, Experience Design, and Strategy) on our program page. You can also attend one of our Information Sessions held throughout the school year.
- Brandcenter Interview
- Once you submit your VCU Graduate School Application, you will receive a request to schedule an interview. You must complete this interview as well as the supplemental application in order for your application to be reviewed for admission.
- Scholarship Application
- After you have submitted your supplemental application, you will receive a link to apply for Brandcenter scholarships. While not required, we strongly recommend that you submit an application, as you will not be considered for scholarships without this application.
Early decision is February 1 and regular decision is April 1. Submit your application materials by these deadlines. We encourage you to submit your application up to a week before to deadline to ensure that all components are submitted to be considered by the given deadline. We will accept applications after April 1 and review on a space-available, rolling-basis until July 1.
It is up to you! The only difference between the two deadlines is that you will receive a decision sooner if you apply by the first deadline (February 1), and will be able to begin planning ahead. In our application process this year, you will also have the opportunity to apply for scholarships, so you will have a better idea about financial support from Brandcenter when you get your admission decision as well.
Having said that, we recommend not rushing the application, so if you need more time, certainly take it and be sure to submit your application no later than our second deadline (April 1).
Our rolling deadline of July 1 is primarily for people who may have missed the other two deadlines but would like to be considered for admission. Keep in mind that there will be very few, if any, applicants who are admitted after April 1.
If you submit and complete your application by the deadline, you will receive a decision about 6-8 weeks after that application deadline.
You are welcome to submit your application past the deadline, but a decision is not guaranteed to be made on your application by our 6-8 week turnaround. Note that if you complete your application after the early decision deadline and before the regular decision deadline, you will be considered for the regular decision deadline.
Your application is considered complete when you have:
- Submitted the online VCU Graduate School application. This is where you will upload your supporting documents such as unofficial transcripts, your personal statement, resume, and your reference information.
- Submitted the Brandcenter supplemental application with 3-4 questions relating to your specific area of interest. The link to your application will be sent to you after you submit your VCU Graduate School Application.
- Completed your Brandcenter interview. You will receive a link to sign up for an interview after you submit your VCU Graduate School application. All interviews must be completed no later than 10 days after the application deadline.
You will receive an email request from firstname.lastname@example.org with scheduling details within 3-5 days after submitting your VCU Graduate School application. The 30-minute interview will be conducted via video chat and must be completed no later than 10 days after the application deadline.
If you have questions about the program or application process, you are always welcome to email email@example.com or set up a virtual meeting.
No. You must respond to application prompts in the online Brandcenter supplemental application. Each question will have a specified response type, i.e. enter text, upload an image, etc.
You can, however, include links to additional sites or extra work, if you’d like. Make sure that you provide us with the URL in your online application.
We only require unofficial transcripts for our application review process.* Upon admission to the Brandcenter, you will need to send us your official transcripts with your final coursework and degree listed.
*Any applicants who have studied outside of the U.S. must provide an official course-by-course external credential evaluation in addition to their transcripts as a required part of the admission process. Please visit International Admissions and click on "foreign transcripts" for more information and a list of evaluators. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
You will only need to provide these upon admission into the program. For more questions about what financial information is required once you are accepted, view the VCU International Admissions page.
If you are placed on the waiting list, we will notify you via email should a spot in the incoming class become available on a rolling basis after June 1.
Applicants who have studied outside of the U.S. (whether they are international applicants or not) must provide an official course-by-course external credential evaluation as a required part of the admission process. Please visit International Admissions and click on "foreign transcripts" for more information and a list of evaluators.
The evaluation should be unopened and sent directly to the Office of International Admissions at:
Virginia Commonwealth University — International Admissions
408 West Franklin Street
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3043
Contact email@example.com with questions.
No, all application pieces must be submitted through the online application portal. You will receive a link to your Brandcenter Supplemental application via email 3-5 days after you submit your VCU Graduate School application online.
- 51 percent out-of-state
- 42 percent racial/ethnic diversity
- Average age: 25
Some of our students are married. Some have kids. About 69% have post-college work experience—anything from working at a college bookstore to several years of agency experience to completely different careers outside of advertising and branding.
Two girls smiling and standing under a tree in the sunlight [View Image]
Tales from Sixty
"Collaboration opens a million doors in your mind that would otherwise have remained locked."