There are a variety of opportunities throughout the year, both on and off the court, to volunteer with the center.
- Life-skills presenter: Teach a lesson from our curriculum or one of your own.
- Career guest speaker: Share knowledge about your career, education and type of work that can educate and inspire youth to explore a different path.
- Tennis instructor: Assist staff on the court by leading tennis drills, stations and games.
- Tennis coach: Coach a Richmond Public Schools middle school team for spring match play.
- Program assistant: Assist staff in programming with on and off court lessons, engaging directly with youth in all activities.
- Lobs and Lessons: Assist program counselors, engaging directly with youth in team building, life-skill lessons and tennis skills and games throughout the day.
- Discovery: Assist classroom teachers, co-lead healthy lifestyle activities and create social media content.
- Internships and paid positions: See the Join Our Team page.
- Complete the online MFYC Volunteer Application, including Guidelines and Procedures Release, Statement of Disclosure and Release of Liability.
- Attend a volunteer training.
- Complete and submit Score Summary page (print or screenshot) for the Safety and Protection of Minors Tier III Training, indicating a score of 80% or higher. You MUST complete this before you start volunteering. Submit completed form: Email firstname.lastname@example.org, drop off at the MFYC, located at 120 S. Linden St., or mail to Box 843062, Richmond, Va. 23284-3062.
Training is required for new volunteers. Contact email@example.com for more information on volunteering.
Spring 2020 volunteer training will be held Friday, January 24 from 4 to 5:30 p.m.
Register for the training.
All trainings are at the Mary and Frances Youth Center in the upstairs seminar room. Volunteers are asked to wear comfortable shoes, as a part of the training will be on the tennis courts. If you have not submitted your paperwork in advance, please bring it to the training. In addition to the training, all volunteers (current and new) must complete the Safety and Protection of Minors Tier III Training.