Logo for the 3 Minute Thesis [View Image]
Think you can effectively pitch your thesis in three minutes?
VCU Engineering is excited to announce the Three Minute Thesis contest open to graduate students who have passed their Qualifying Exam. Judges from each department and other units on campus will come together to decide which grad student will take home the prize.
- Winner - $300
- Runner-up - $200
- People’s Choice - $100
Date: Friday, April 13, 2018
Time: 4–6 p.m.
Location: Engineering West Hall, Room 101
Due to time limitations, space is limited. First come first serve.
*Refreshments following the event
*Event is free and open to the public.
Three Minute Thesis (3MT) celebrates the exciting research conducted by PhD students. Developed by The University of Queensland, the exercise cultivates students' academic, presentation, and research communication skills. The competition supports their capacity to effectively explain their research in three minutes, in a language appropriate to a non-specialist audience.
For more information about 3MT and to see examples of other presentations, click here.
· You must be a graduate student who has passed their Qualifying Exam
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (eg. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
For any questions about the 3MT VCU events, please contact Erdem Topsakal at email@example.com