Highlights of Nursing in Virginia
[View Image]The first edition of Highlights of Nursing in Virginia was published in November 1975 on the recommendation of the 75th Anniversary Committee of the Virginia Nursing Association. Committee members Miss Mabel Montgomery, Miss Marie Schmidt, and Miss Katherine Gary were key in its publication. Their utilization of personal experience as well as files from the Virginia Nursing Association and the Virginia State Board of Nursing made that work possible.
In 2000 a joint Virginia Nurses Association-Virginia League for Nursing (VNA-VLN) was established to revise and create a new edition of Highlights of Nursing in Virginia. Initially co-chaired by Evelyn Bacon (VNA) and Laura Murphy (VLN), this special committee worked closely with Jodi Koste, Archivist-Tompkins-McCaw Library-Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). With the untimely death of Mrs. Bacon in 1997, Corinne Dorsey became co-chairman (VNA) and work was carried on to its successful completion. Special recognition is given to Dorothy Crowder, Evelyn and Frank West, Laura Bostic, Sharolyn Heatwole, Betsey Bampton, Susan Jones, Ann Unholz, and Jodi Koste.
This is the second iteration of Highlights of Nursing in Virginia to be presented online. An edited version of the 1975 edition was published through VCU Libraries in 1999 and was periodically updated until the site's closure in 2014.
- Highlights of Nursing in Virginia
- Highlights in Nursing
- Appendix 1- VNA Presidents and Executive Directors
- Appendix 2- VNA Conventions
- Appendix 3- Virginia League for Nursing Presidents
- Appendix 4- Virginia League for Nursing Conventions
- Appendix 5- Old Dominion Graduate Nurses Association Presidents
- Appendix 6- Old Dominion Graduate Nurses Association Conventions
- Appendix 7- Virginia Board of Nursing Chief Administrative Officers of the Board of Nursing
- Appendix 8- Nursing Education in Virginia