University College of Medicine
- Making VCU
- Famous VCU Alumni
- Richmond as a laboratory for a university
- Early social work history
- MCV founders
- Six degrees of separation
- Student life at MCV
- Student life at RPI
- University College of Medicine
- VCU literary legacy
- RPI/MCV's connection with other colleges and universities
- Bird and Wayne commissions
Dr. Hunter Holmes McGuire and 26 prominent Richmond citizens organized the University College of Medicine (UCM) to keep students from leaving Virginia for their medical education and to fulfill the founders’ desires for a more rigorous education program. Located on Clay and 12th Streets, UCM opened in October 1893 with McGuire serving as president. The College had separate schools for medicine, dentistry, and pharmacy as well as a training school for nurses at Virginia Hospital.
UCM existed for 20 years until it consolidated with MCV in 1913, due in part to the increased financial strain at the college and the findings of the Flexner Commission report of 1910 which recommended a merger of the two schools.