Guaranteed Admission Program for Nursing Requirements
In order to retain membership in the Honors College Guaranteed Admission Program, all Guaranteed Admission students MUST
- Graduate with University Honors.
- Submit their Honors dossier by the stated deadline (January 1 for May graduation, July 15 for August graduation and August 15 for December graduation).
- Complete all prerequisite coursework for the School of Nursing during the first year (fall and spring). A grade of a “B” or better is required for anatomy.
- Maintain a 3.5 GPA in nursing prerequisite courses taken at VCU. AP/IB and repeat course grades are not used in the GPA calculation.
- Present a cumulative 3.5 GPA (based on all coursework attempted) at the end of the first and second semester at VCU.
- If you wish to take required coursework from either an institution other than VCU or in summer session at VCU, then you must obtain advance permission from the Director of Guaranteed Admission Programs. This includes the summer session between high school and college.
- Complete a minimum of 60 hours of approved healthcare-related experience during the first year at VCU (July 1-May 1).
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of non-clinical community service each semester outside of the healthcare profession.
- Submit a Nursing-CAS application by March 1 of the freshman year to VCU.
- Engage in professional behavior at all times. Any institutional or legal sanction will result in dismissal from the Guaranteed Admission Program.
- Monitor your vcu.edu email daily during your entire undergraduate program, including summer sessions and breaks. If you will be (or anticipate being) without email access for more than seven (7) consecutive days, you must notify the Director of Guaranteed Admission Programs of alternate means of communication and provide the date when you will again have email access.
- Meet with the Director of Guaranteed Admission Programs every semester for academic advising in the first year. Students who fail to receive advising from the Director of Guaranteed Admission Programs prior to the beginning of Honors registration will be placed on hold for registration until they secure such advising.
- Attend all meetings of Guaranteed Admission students as directed by the Director of Guaranteed Admission Programs, and meet with the Director upon request.
Student records will be reviewed every semester to determine compliance with the requirements. If a student fails to complete the requirements, this will result in dismissal from the Honors College Guaranteed Admission Program for Nursing.