Skip to content

College of Humanities & Sciences

Liberal Studies for Early and Elementary Education

Major Declaration

For students interested in declaring the LSEE major:

  1. Review the following eligibility requirements:
    • Students are first admitted to the foundation level after review of their SAT scores and GPA.
    • Entering freshmen and transfer or change-of-major students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to be admitted.
    • Advancement to upper-level status requires 60 or more credits (including TEDU 101 and the classes listed as completing the H&S general education requirements), a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a passing score on the VCLA or SAT/ACT/GRE.
    • There are additional requirements to progress in the major and to admit to the MT program. These will be discussed at the change of major advising appointment.
  2. Email to schedule an advising appointment to discuss admissions eligibility requirements.
  3. A change of major form will be submitted on the student's behalf, if they meet eligibility requirements.

Important Change of Major Dates

While it is possible to change your major at any time during the year, it can be difficult to schedule and appointment during Add/Drop and Advance Registration periods. Due to the high volume of requests we receive during these busy times of year, we strongly encourage students to schedule change of major appointments outside of the following dates:

Fall Deadlines

Add/drop: End of August

Advance registration advising: Mid-October to Mid-November

Spring Deadlines

Add/drop: Middle of January

Advance registration advising: Mid-March to Mid-April

***If we receive a substantial number of change of major requests during Add/Drop or Advance Registration, students may be asked to attend a group workshop, rather than an individual appointment.

Deadline to attend a Change of Major individual appointment if requesting TEDU 101

If requesting TEDU 101 for Fall:  Attend a session BEFORE May 4

***Individual appointments can be difficult to schedule immediately preceding this deadline.  Please plan accordingly! 

Leaving the LSEE Major

For current LSEE majors interested in declaring a different major:

If you are a current LSEE student, and you're planning to change your major from LSEE to a different discipline, you do not need to schedule an appointment with LSEE Advising.  Instead, please schedule an appointment with an advisor in the department into which you plan to transfer.

Although not required, LSEE Advising would greatly appreciate an email at notifying us of your plans.  

View graphic version