Clinical Research Affiliate Network overview
VCU Massey Cancer Center leads Virginia in providing the largest selection of cancer clinical trials. In striving to serve all Virginians, Massey’s Clinical Research Affiliate Network extends its National Cancer Institute-sponsored clinical trial offerings statewide to provide more patients easier access to the latest, cutting-edge cancer therapies and prevention methods that are available through clinical trials. The Minority/Underserved NCI Community Oncology Research Program grant (NCORP-MU) received by the VCU Massey Cancer Center in 2014, provides additional support for the statewide research affiliation network, with particular emphasis on access to cancer research for minority and underserved patients in the Commonwealth. This network enables a select group of health systems and oncology medical practices throughout the Commonwealth to access Massey’s excellence and expertise in clinical research and patient centered cancer care delivery research, and offer more treatment options to their patients. Massey assists these affiliates with the development and ongoing management of a high-quality clinical trials program.
Hospitals and medical practices affiliated with Massey through this network have demonstrated that they deliver a high standard of cancer care, have a strong interest in and commitment to participating in clinical research and have infrastructure in place to support clinical trials.
Massey research affiliates and NCORP-MU component sites are working together to:
- Find better ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer
- Understand the factors that influence cancer outcomes
- Improve the quality of cancer care
- Improve the quality of life of cancer patients and their loved ones
- Overcome cancer health disparities due to race, geography, educational or socioeconomic status
- Contribute to the development of new drugs, medical devices or prevention strategies and increase their availability to patients within our communities
Clinical research affiliates and NCORP-MU community component sites
Massey has established clinical research affiliations with outstanding oncology practices and hospital systems that provide quality cancer care to Virginia communities and that would like to offer patients access to cancer clinical trials. The Massey NCORP-MU is composed of the clinical research affiliates and two additional clinical partner institutions. (*NCOPR-MU clinical partner institution)
- Hematology-Oncology Associates of Fredericksburg, Inc (Fredericksburg, VA)
- Centra Lynchburg Hematology-Oncology Clinic Inc.
- Shenandoah Oncology, PC (Winchester, VA)
- Virginia Cancer Institute (Greater Richmond & Petersburg)
- Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center (Greater Richmond)*
- Peninsula Cancer Institute
- VCU Community Memorial Hospital (South Hill)*