Scholarship and financial aid
Veterans, service members and their families can supplement GI Bill benefits with scholarships and other sources of financial aid.
Scholarships for veterans
Virginia Commonwealth University’s Office of Admissions offers merit-based scholarships to first-time freshmen as well as a limited number of transfer students who apply to VCU in the fall semester. Grants, work study programs and loans are also available through the VCU Financial Aid office.
Military students may be eligible for scholarships and relief-based aid programs based on factors such as veteran status, achievement and financial need:
- The Air Force Aid Society
- Army Emergency Relief
- Army ROTC scholarships
- Coast Guard Mutual Assistance
- Meadows L. Phillips & Thomas H. Weatherford Veterans scholarship
- Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society
- Pat Tillman scholarship
- VCU Veterans Scholarship ($2,000.00) Guidelines for the award: A veteran that was active duty for at least 1 year and is currently attending VCU. Service to fellow VCU student veterans will be the top criteria for this scholarship. Character, community service and academic performance will be additional considerations. Veteran students desiring consideration should email the MSS Director a brief description of their service to fellow veterans and the the community. This award will go to a veteran that meets the above criteria in the fall of each year. MSS staff will oversee the award process. This scholarship is NOT restricted to tuition only.
Veterans Affairs work-study program
Veterans who receive military education benefits and attend school at least three-quarters of the time may qualify for VA work-study. Under this program, veterans can work with VCU veteran-related offices, VA medical facilities or at approved state employment offices. They will be paid at either the state or federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. For more details, visit the GI Bill website or call (888) 442-4551.
National Scholarships from 2/1/2020 - 2/29/2020
The Tillman Scholar application is open to military service members, veterans and spouses pursuing full-time undergraduate and graduate degrees at a US-based, accredited institution. They provide academic scholarships, professional development opportunities, and a connection to a national network of service-minded leaders. The Tillman Scholar application is open on Feb. 1. The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. PST on Feb. 29, 2020.
Please take this opportunity to meet with the National Scholarship Office (NSO) at VCU for any assistance on your application. The NSO is very excited to work with any veteran students who are interested in applying. Make an appointment with Dr.
Please take this opportunity to meet with the National Scholarship Office (NSO) at VCU for any assistance on your application. The NSO is very excited to work with any veteran students who are interested in applying. Make an appointment with Dr. Meredith Sisson of Jeff Wing