Kimberly Curry-Lourenco, Ph.D., M.Ed.,RN, CHSEClinical Assistant Professor
Director, Clinical Learning Center and Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs
1100 East Leigh Street
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I currently co-teach the doctoral level course for healthcare clinicians transitioning to academic roles. I am actively involved in simulation practice across undergraduate and graduate programs. My teaching experience to date includes undergraduate adult health, and graduate level courses preparing academic nurse educators.
The focus of my research is clinical teaching and learning with an emphasis on simulation-based education.
I serve on several School of Nursing committees and work groups and have served on University Council. I currently serve as Vice Chair for the Regulations Committee at the International Nursing Association for Clinical and Simulation Learning (INACSL) and am actively involved in several professional organizations focusing on healthcare simulation and nursing education. I have provided consultation to schools of nursing in the areas of simulation, curriculum development and evaluation, and program administration.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Duquesne University School of Nursing, Pittsburgh, PA
- Master of Education (M.Ed.) Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- Bachelor of Science (BSN) Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- Administrator of the Year Nominee - 2017
- Giddens, J.F., Curry-Lourenco, K., Miles, E., Reeder, E. Enhancing learning in an online doctoral course through a virtual community platform. Journal of Professional Nursing (in press), May 30, 2020 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2020.05.007
- Bradley, C.S., Johnson, B.K., Dreifuerst,K.T., White, P., Conde,S., Meakim, C., Curry-Lourenco,K., Childress, R.M.(2019). Regulation of simulation use in United States prelicensure nursing programs. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 33,17-25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2019.04.004;
- Bradley, C.S., Dreifuerst, K.T., Conde,K. Johnson, K. Curry-Lourenco,K., Meakim, C., Childress,R.M., White, P., “Simulation Regulations after the NCSBN Study”, Poster presentation, International Nursing Association for Clinical and Simulation Learning (INACSL) Conference, Phoenix, AZ, June 2019.
- Curry-Lourenco, K., Murray, D.M., Eaton, P., Bouchard, R. “All Hands at the Helm: Lessons in Leadership and Program Innovation.”, Podium presentation at the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Baccalaureate Education Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, November 2018.
- Curry-Lourenco, K., Invited Speaker, “Concept-Based Learning in the Clinical Setting.“ Virginia Community College System (VCCS) Faculty Professional Development Series. Conducted workshops statewide through the VCCS Regional Centers for Teaching Excellence: Tidewater Community College (Portsmouth), Nov. 2016; VCCS System Office (Richmond), Nov. 2016; Virginia Western Community College (Roanoke), February 2017; Northern Virginia Community College, March 2017.
- Curry-Lourenco, K., Invited Speaker, “Assessing Learning: On the Road to Informed Instruction.” Virginia Community College Nursing and Allied Health Peer Group Conference, Richmond, Virginia, October 2016.
- Curry-Lourenco, K., Pugh, H., Rogers, N., Weiermann, P. “Comparison of Characteristics Among Simulation Centers: An International Analysis.” “Hands-On/Hot Topics” Podium presentation at the International Nursing Association for Clinical Learning & Simulation Conference, June 2015 in Atlanta, GA.