Lathika Mohanraj, Ph.D., RN, BMTCNAssistant Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3071
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
I teach courses in the undergraduate curriculum at the VCU School of Nursing. I am the course director for the Pathophysiology and Pharmacology course. My challenge as a teaching faculty is to kindle interest and promote critical thinking among students. My goal is to help students bridge the gap between didactic learning and their application in a clinical setting. I maintain clinical practice as a certified RN on the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at VCU Health.
My program of research is focused on studying the role of inflammatory pathways in hematologic cancers, bone marrow transplant and consequent chronic comorbidities. I am particularly interested in identifying and studying molecular biomarkers that would aid early detection of patients at risk for chronic complications of hematologic malignancies bearing in mind the challenges encountered in its clinical application. I am also interested in exploring the potential of nutritional modifications (supplements) in improving quality of life among oncology patients.
I am an active member of the Oncology Nursing Society and a nominated member of the Board of the Oncology Nursing Society, Richmond Chapter. I chair the Evidenced Based Practice Committee on the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, VCU Health.
- Bachelor of Science, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Master of Science (MSc), University of Mumbai, India
- Bachelor of Science (BSc), University of Mumbai, India
AWARDS AND HONORS:
- Virginia Commonwealth University Alumni ’10 Under 10’ award
- Virginia Nurses Foundation ‘40 under 40’ award
- Outstanding Recent Alumnus Award, VCU School of Nursing
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Nursing Dean’s List 2013-2014
- Member, Golden Key International Honor Society
- Travel Award 93rd ENDO Annual Meeting and Expo, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Winner, Poster Session, 9th Annual Meeting, National Postdoctoral Association, NIH, Bethesda, MD
- Graduate Research Scholarship, Virginia Commonwealth University
- 2018 - 2019: Principal Investigator: Epigenetics and Frailty: A Predictor of Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Outcomes: VCU Presidential Research Quest Fund (PeRQ).
- Lyon DE, Mohanraj L, Kelly DL, Elswick RK Jr. Health promoting lifestyle behaviors and systemic inflammation in African American and Caucasian women prior to chemotherapy for breast cancer. Health Promotion Perspectives. 2014 Jul; 4(1): 18–26.
- Montpetit AJ, Alhareeri AA, Montpetit M, Starkweather AR, Elmore LW, Filler K, Mohanraj L, Burton CW, Menzies VS, Lyon DE, Jackson-Cook CK. Telomere Length: A review of methods for measurement. Nursing Research. 2014 Jul-Aug;63(4):289-99.
- Starkweather A, Alhaeeri A, Montpetit A, Brumelle J, Filler K, Montpetit M, Mohanraj L, Lyon D, Jackson-Cook C. Part I: An Integrative Review of Factors Associated with Telomere Length and Implications for Biobehavioral Research. Nursing Research, 2014 Jan-Feb;63(1):36-50.
- Li C, Li W, Mohanraj L, Cai Q, Anscher MS, Oh Y. Multiple Mechanisms for Anti-Fibrotic of Statins on Radiotherapy Induced Fibrosis. Journal of Cancer Research Updates. 2014; 3 (1): 73-80.
- Mohanraj L and Lyon DE. ‘Micro’-management of obesity and cancer. Journal of Postdoctoral Research. 2013; 1(6).
- Mohanraj L, Kim H, Li W, Kim K, Shin H, Lee YJ, Lee WJ, Kim JH, Oh Y. IGFBP-3 inhibits cytokine – induced insulin resistance and early manifestations of atherosclerosis. PLoS One. 2013;8(1):e55084.
- Mohanraj L. and Oh Y. Impact of IGF system on dietary short chain fatty acid-induced anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects. Biomedical Research. 2012; 23: SI 187-195.
- Vaughan C*, Mohanraj L*, Singh S, Dumur CI, Ramamoorthy M, Garrett CT, Ramakrishnan V, Windle B, Yeudall A, Deb S and Deb SP. Human oncoprotein MDM2 up-regulates expression of NF-κB2 precursor p100 conferring survival advantage to lung cells. Genes Cancer. 2011 Oct;2(10):943-55. (* Equal Contribution)
- Mohanraj L and Oh Y. Targeting IGF-I, IGFBPs and IGF-I Receptor System in Cancer:The Current and Future in Breast Cancer Therapy. Recent Patents in Anticancer Drug Discovery. 2011, May 1;6(2):166-77.
- Ingermann AR, Yang YF, Paisley TE, Han J, Mikami A, Garza AE, Mohanraj L, Fan L, Idowu M, Ware JL, Kim HS, Lee DY, Oh Y. Identification of a novel cell death receptor mediating IGFBP-3-induced antitumor effects in breast and prostate cancer. The Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2010 Mar 30;285(39):30233-46.
- Frum R, Ramamoorthy M, Mohanraj L, Deb S, Deb SP. MDM2 controls the timely expression of cyclin A to regulate cell cycle. Molecular Cancer Research. 2009 Aug; 7(8):1253-67.
- *Scian MJ, Carchman EH, *Mohanraj L, Stagliano KE, Anderson MA, Deb D, Crane BM, Kiyono T, Windle B, Deb SP, Deb S. Wild-type p53 and p73 negatively regulate expression of proliferation related genes.
- 2008 Apr 17; 27(18):2583-93. (* Equal contribution)
- Relationship of Frailty and Cognitive Impairment to Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Outcomes. (2019) Mohanraj L., Swift-Scanlan T., Sargent L., Toor A., Dozmorov M. MASCC/ISOO Annual meeting on Supportive Care in Cancer, San Francisco, USA
- Health Promoting Life-Style Behaviors and Systemic Inflammation in African American and Caucasian Women Prior to Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer. Mohanraj L, Kelly DL, Lyon DE, Elswick RK Jr. 9th Annual VCU Women’s Health Research Day, Richmond, Virginia.
- Year Two as a Postdoctoral Association at Virginia Commonwealth University: Enhancing the Postdoctoral Experience at Our University. Mohanraj L, Choi MJ, Jackson KJ*, Sayers KW, Kahlon A*, Maguma HT, Jurgens C, Rajagopal S, Hull LC, Golding SE, Hawkins AJ, Shapiro B. 10th Annual Meeting, National Postdoctoral Association, San Francisco, USA.
- Impact of IGFBP-3 in human metabolic syndrome: IGFBP-3 inhibits cytokine induced insulin resistance and early manifestations of atherosclerosis in an in vitro system. Mohanraj L, Li W and Oh Y. 93rd ENDO Annual Meeting and Expo, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
- First Year as a Postdoctoral Association at Virginia Commonwealth University: Progress and Future Goals. Hull LC *, Shapiro B, Murdock W, Hawkins AJ, Kobel C, Sayers KW, Golding SE, Mohanraj L, Koka S, Biddlestone L, Thorpe L, and Kienzle J. 9th Annual Meeting, National Postdoctoral Association, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
- Regulation of MDM2 mediated overexpression of NFkB2 in human lung cancer. Mohanraj L, Anderson M, Deb S and Deb SP. 24th Annual Daniel T. Watts Research Poster Symposium, Virginia Commonwealth University, VA. 25th American Cancer Society, Mid-Atlantic Division, Virginia Cancer Research Seminar, Richmond. Annual John C. Forbes Graduate Student Colloquium, Virginia Commonwealth University, VA.
- Regulation of MDM2 mediated overexpression of NFkB2 in human lung cancer. Mohanraj L, Dumur CI, Anderson M, Ramamoorthy M, Scian MJ, Garrett CT, Ramakrishnan V, Roberts J, Penberthy L, Deb S and Deb SP. Massey Cancer Center ‘Cancer Research Retreat’, VCU Richmond, VA.
- Impact of IGFBP-3 in human cardiovascular diseases. Mohanraj L and Oh Y. 27th Annual Daniel T. Watts Research Poster Symposium, VCU, Richmond, VA. 92nd ENDO Annual Meeting and Expo, San Diego, California, USA.
- Crosstalk between MDM2 and NFkB2 Pathway in human lung cancer. Mohanraj L, Dumur C, Anderson M, Ramamoorthy M, Scian MJ, Garrett CT, Ramakrishnan V, Roberts J, Penberthy L, Deb S, Deb SP. 3rd Annual VCU Women’s Health Research Day, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA. 23th Annual Daniel T. Watts Research Poster Symposium, VCU, Richmond, VA.
- Comparative study of automated electrolyte analyzer in different clinical laboratory setups. Mohanraj L, Travasso C, Vahia A, Dandekar S. International Conference of Quality Health Care, G.S. Seth Medical College and KEM Medical College, Mumbai, India.