Lyons Hardy, M.S., RN, P-MHNPClinical Assistant Professor
Department of Adult Health and Nursing Systems
1100 East Leigh Street, Room 3001D
Richmond, VA 23298-0567
*Academic office information. Do not use contact information for patient-related matters.*
I teach in the psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner program and serve as the concentration coordinator for the program. I am interested in using simulation and implementing active learning techniques to enhance PMHNP education.
I maintain my practice as a PMHNP in two settings. I participate in the VCU Psychiatry Grand Rounds planning committee and am the chair of the VCU School of Nursing Master's Curriculum Committee. I am a member of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association and the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. I am a member at large for the steering committee of the APNA Virginia chapter. I was previously a member of the VCU IRB for ten years.
- BA, UVA, Religious studies, minor in philosophy
- BS, VCU, Nursing
- MSN, UVA, PMHCNS
- Post-MSN certificate, UVA, PMHNP
- Outstanding service award as a NP preceptor, VCU, 2016.
- Hardy, L.T. & Reichenbacker, O.L. (2019). A practical guide to the use of psychotropic medications during pregnancy and lactation. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 33, 254-266. [I, R]
- Boling, P.A., Hardy, L.T., & Crouse, E.L. (2016). Adult psychiatric care in the home. In J.L. Hayashi & B.A. Leff (Eds.) Geriatric Home-Based Medical Care: Principles and Practice (125-149). New York: Springer.
- Hardy, L. & Williams, K.P. (2019). When less is more: Deprescribing in PMHNP practice. American Psychiatric Nurses' Association annual conference, October 2019, New Orleans, LA.
- Williams, K.P. & Hardy, L. (2019). Beyond the Powerpoint: Active learning strategies in nursing education. American Psychiatric Nurses' Association annual conference, October 2019, New Orleans, LA.
- Hardy, L. & Reichenbacker, O. Psychotropics during pregnancy and lactation. Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners annual conference, March 2019, Roanoke, VA.
- Hardy, L. & Gregory, A. Using psychotropics in primary care. Virginia Council of Nurse Practitioners annual conference, March 2019, Roanoke, VA.
- Hardy, L. & Reichenbacker, O. Psychotropics during pregnancy and lactation. International Society for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses annual conference, April 2018, Tempe, AZ.
- Hardy, L. & Kogut, C. Interprofessional collaboration on the psychiatric treatment team. VCU Psychiatry Grand Rounds, January 2018, Richmond, VA.
- Hardy, L. Perinatal mental health: A practical perspective on medication treatment. International Society for Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses annual conference, March 2017, Baltimore, MD.
- Hardy, L. & Woolfolk, L. Treating trauma related symptoms with medication. The Heart is a Muscle Conference, Action Alliance Training Institute, May 2016, Charlottesville, VA.